MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: what do you prefer to use www or non www
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
as the title say "what do you prefer to use www or non www"
Nope. I just type the url without www.
(2014-02-14, 02:47 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]Nope. I just type the url without www.
Pretty much. It really doesn't matter which one you use, as long as www will still resolve (www.yourdomain.com). You should be consistent at which one you use for just general reasons (users seeing the same URL, and what not), and for SEO purposes. Personally, I type without www, for the same reason no one types http anymore, it's just less typing. However, I do know of one gaming community in which the www sub domain doesn't resolve, they most likely lose a good 35-40% of their traffic, especially due to the fact that they advertise their domain with the www sub domain when it doesn't even resolve.
Either one. Both resolve on my domain. Wink
(2014-02-14, 04:44 PM)Rymax99 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-02-14, 02:47 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]Nope. I just type the url without www.
Pretty much. It really doesn't matter which one you use, as long as www will still resolve (www.yourdomain.com). You should be consistent at which one you use for just general reasons (users seeing the same URL, and what not), and for SEO purposes. Personally, I type without www, for the same reason no one types http anymore, it's just less typing. However, I do know of one gaming community in which the www sub domain doesn't resolve, they most likely lose a good 35-40% of their traffic, especially due to the fact that they advertise their domain with the www sub domain when it doesn't even resolve.

you say "its doesn't matter which one you use"

examle:
with www: www.example.com
and
without www: example.com

An internet user see this url as one url example.com
but google and search engines look as two different url

so it does matter
I prefer it without the www
I prefer no www, it looks tidier and is less to type.

Obviously the www. domain does a 301 redirect (having either of the two with no DNS record is a bad idea, I remember an Australian government site had no record for the non-www domain for several years - it was a pain to access!)
(2014-02-17, 09:03 PM)Zulkarnain Wrote: [ -> ]you say "its doesn't matter which one you use"

It doesn't matter. Choose either one and redirect the other.

Whether you have another 4 characters (www.) in the URL or not really makes no difference whatsoever.

Unless your site is optimized through and through for short URLs, starting from the domain name (grxl.tl instead of this-my-site-here-is-great.tld), and including the URLs themselves ( /6juRxY instead of /thread-151040-post-1062418.html#pid1062418 ). But most sites are not like that.
Both resolve to the domain, however the cookie settings (and indeed, the form submit for MyBB and wordpress) all link to the www. domain.