MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mybb 10 Million database queries per second
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So can Mybb handle 10 million plus database queries per second or will it crash under such pressure ? Can Mybb handle 50 million posts per day for example , or will it break with errors output ? What is the limit of this software and will i have to look elsewhere if Mybb cannot satisfy such large requirements ?
Can the server you're running it on support it? It's not a MyBB thing, it's whether MySQL can handle it.
Let's look at this realistically...

Facebook executes 13 million+ queries per second. You'll never come close to that.

You won't be getting 50 million posts per day. That's 18 billion posts per year. The largest Internet forum only has 2 billion.

Forget which forum software you use, you'd need tens of thousands of servers to handle such a load. Concentrate on building your community first.
(2014-02-16, 07:47 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Let's look at this realistically...

Facebook executes 13 million+ queries per second. You'll never come close to that.

You won't be getting 50 million posts per day. That's 18 billion posts per year. The largest Internet forum only has 2 billion.

Forget which forum software you use, you'd need tens of thousands of servers to handle such a load. Concentrate on building your community first.

That is perfectly understandable. I want to know a rough estimate on the amount of pressure the Mybb software can take in terms of queries per second and such. Even if the Mybb software is spread across multiple servers to handle that load. Is the software designed for such intense use. Mostly regarding user experience and security for if the Mybb software will slow down over time with a peak of , lets say 100 000 database queries per second.
You'd never reach even that amount of queries per second. The largest MyBB forum at its peak received around 3000-4000 queries per second. That's a forum with 30 million posts and thousands of active users spread across a couple of servers.

MyBB is very lightweight. It's the hardware and the optimization of the server which you really need to care about. But as I said, you won't need to worry about that for a long time. There are many big boards (100,000 - 300,000 posts) which are running smoothly on shared hosting.
It isn't MyBB you need to look at.

Seriously - the server will die out before the software on it will.
(2014-02-16, 08:03 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]You'd never reach even that amount of queries per second. The largest MyBB forum at its peak received around 3000-4000 queries per second. That's a forum with 30 million posts and thousands of active users spread across a couple of servers.

MyBB is very lightweight. It's the hardware and the optimization of the server which you really need to care about. But as I said, you won't need to worry about that for a long time. There are many big boards (100,000 - 300,000 posts) which are running smoothly on shared hosting.

Thats what i wanted to know. Glad i'm using nginx rather than apache so i dont need to scale so much in the future. Thank you Nathan for the educated info .
Any forum software can, so long as there is the infrastructure behind it to handle the number of queries. No software really has hard limits. Put it on a good server setup, with distribution and load balancing and you'll be fine. Sit behind a CDN to reduce request volumes and you'll be able to handle large volumes of traffic regardless of software.