MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Something wrong with the CHMOD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay well im at the point now to install my forums, I have CHMOD the files that its telling me to...But my Uploads, and Avatars will not work when I CHMOD them to 666...What can I do to fix this, I did this before but I dont remember what I typed in when I CHMODDED it...So please help me...
What FTP program are you using?
SmartFTP, really good program... What I used last time to do this but I dunno...

Edit: I also tried it on CoreFTP and its not even opening uploads to get to avatars...Also CHMOD to 666
I had this problem with SmartFTP a while back, just close the program and restart it and when you CHMOD the uploads folder, select the option "Apply changes to this folder, sub folders and files". If the avatars still don't work then you could try CHMOD to 777 Smile.
thats what i did 777 i think.. let me try that out ill edit this post or reply back if it works

Edit: Okay its working now! Thanks!
No problem Smile.
at0mik Wrote:No problem Smile.

I have some questions about chmodding as well. I am using my internet explorer to as my ftp program. Can anyone tell me how to CHMOD my files in this case? I haven't seen any examples relating to internet explorer.
kgiuliano Wrote:
at0mik Wrote:No problem Smile.

I have some questions about chmodding as well.  I am using my internet explorer to as my ftp program.  Can anyone tell me how to CHMOD my files in this case?  I haven't seen any examples relating to internet explorer.

I actually think I figured it out. The only question I have though is 666 giving read/write/executable permission to everyone. I don't have number options, only those listed above.
CHMOD permissions only apply to programs on the server. 666 only gives read/write perms not executable
Tikitiki Wrote:CHMOD permissions only apply to programs on the server. 666 only gives read/write perms not executable

Thanks for the quick response. Maybe I am misunderstanding something but wouldn't I want executable permissions for myself, read and write only to members and read only for others? I understand for the initial set up the potential need to allow writing to all but once the forum is up and running, wouldn't I want something like 764 (which I assume is owner (read/write/execute), group (read/write) and other (read)?
Pages: 1 2