MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Stupid Newbie Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I apologize in advance for the stupidity of these questions, but I'm not much of a techie and am trying to learn as I go. I have not found answers to these questions (that I can understand) in a search of this forum. I'll be brief:

1) How do I change a regular member to a moderator? I haven't found that on the AdminCP and don't know where else to look.
1a) How do I set it up so that new members must be approved before they can join? I haven't found that on the AdminCP either.
2) Are the video hosts listed on the drop-down menu the only ones allowed?
3) I want to add the AutoMedia plug-in, but I can't get past step one of the installation instructions:
"Upload the complete content of the Upload folder into your forum home directory."
How, exactly, do I upload it to the home directory?

Again, please forgive my lack of knowledge, and thank you in advance for any assistance.
1. ACP > Users & Groups > Username [or] Find User : Username > Options [dropdown] > Edit Profile & Settings > Profile [tab] > Promary Usergroup [or] Additional Usergroup > Moderator [select] > Save User [button at bottom].

1.a) ACP > Configuration > User Registration and Profile Options > Registration Method > Administrator Activation

2. You can use any host by creating subsequent MyCodes

3. plugin file goes to inc/plugins, language file goes to inc/languages/[lang]
Generally these are two files to upload unless its a complex plugin. The same folder structure must be there in the installation package as well.
Thank you very much! Your answers have solved most of my problems. But the last one leaves me vexed. The plug-in file (which I have downloaded) goes to inc/plugins how, exactly? In other words, where to I find the function that lets me upload into inc/plugins? I don't find any upload functionality. Sorry if I seem dense.
And a follow-up on #2: how do I create a MyCode to add hosts? I see how to create a MyCode. Do I just format it [video=VideoHostName] and save it?

Your patience and assistance are greatly appreciated.
^ plugin files need to be uploaded using web host file manager or a ftp client (eg. filezilla)
a plugin also exists to upload the other plugin files. however initially this plugin uploader needs to be
installed in normal method.

MyBB admin panel has provision for adding required MyCodes
You can create MyCodes from:
ACP > Configuration > MyCode > Add New MyCode

If you don't know how to create a MyCode for embedding videos; you can use a plugin for those to be created, like this:
http://mods.mybb.com/view/multi-video-mycode-for-mybb
Again, I appreciate your patience and apologize for being so thick. I have very little experience with this and I'm trying to fill the vast hole that is my ignorance. So let me see if I have this straight:

If I download Filezilla (for example), that program will allow me to upload the plugin to my forum? (I have never used an ftp client before, so again I am showing the depth of my ignorance.) Is it really that simple, or am I missing something?
You are absolutely correct. Use Filezilla / CuteFTP or similar.
Else there is option under your hosting panel to upload files.
Didn't you have to upload the forum to begin with? If not, then you may be using some pre-installed forum host that may or may not provide FTP access. You will need a user account and password at a webhost (not your myBB user) to login with FTP.
Dave, I am using a pre-installed forum (provided by the host). So maybe that explains some things.... Thanks for pointing that out!