MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Admin CP Directory Name Change?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For additional “security through obscurity” I want to change the name of my admin directory to something that's not as attractive or obvious. I need somebody to coach me or jog my memory on how to do it. I did it last year on my last installation and if I remember right when you do that the login automagically disappears from the top of the forum's header. I just can't remember what I did to make it work. After I changed the name, I installed the admin honey-pot plugin so that it still looks like I have a standard admin cp.
Rename the "admin" directory to the name of your choice, then edit ./inc/config.php and fill in the correct value.
Edit: delayed response

rename admin directory either in file manager at web host or through ftp client
open ./inc/config.php file in a code editor (eg. notepad++) and change below to show your new admin directory
$config['admin_dir'] = 'admin';

you can change it like this
$config['admin_dir'] = 'your-new-admin-directrory-name';

more details can be seen here --> Renaming the Admin Directory

then you can add & install the honeypot plugin
Thank you both Nathan and .m.
.m. it's been so long since I've had contact with you. Hope all is well with you.
and ...

maybe its good after creating your new admin directory ... so create a fake admin directory back and put password on that directory.

and if you want to hide admin link from userCP in:
open ./inc/config.php and change 0 to 1 in this code:
$config['hide_admin_links'] = 0;

also you can remove default super admin permissions and add them on a sample user and after add sample use ID in:
$config['super_admins'] = '1';
(2014-02-25, 12:06 PM)OMID_HXC Wrote: [ -> ]and ...

maybe its good after creating your new admin directory ... so create a fake admin directory back and put password on that directory.

and if you want to hide admin link from userCP in:
open ./inc/config.php and change 0 to 1 in this code:
$config['hide_admin_links'] = 0;

also you can remove default super admin permissions and add them on a sample user and after add sample use ID in:
$config['super_admins'] = '1';
To trick people into trying to break into the old admin CP, I'd use ACP honeypot, which looks exactly like a default admin CP, but instead of the login attempts being tried against the database, they're emailed to a email you specify with the user they tried, the password they tried, and their IP.