MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: User IP showing as 127.0.0.1?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

A moderator on my forum has an IP of 127.0.0.1 in ModCP, online list etc.

How could he get this? Confused
My guess is that he is running some kind of proxy server (Like Polipo) on his local computer. The proxy then sends an X-Forwarded-For: 127.0.0.1 header, looking at MyBB's source, it doesn't actually exclude 127.0.0.1 as an invalid IP.

I guess the solution for the time being is to disable the IP forwarding check option (Server and Optimization Options>Scrutinize User's IP address).
(2014-03-02, 03:15 AM)Cameron:D Wrote: [ -> ]My guess is that he is running some kind of proxy server (Like Polipo) on his local computer. The proxy then sends an X-Forwarded-For: 127.0.0.1 header, looking at MyBB's source, it doesn't actually exclude 127.0.0.1 as an invalid IP.

I guess the solution for the time being is to disable the IP forwarding check option (Server and Optimization Options>Scrutinize User's IP address).

Oh, he doesn't strike me as the type of person who knows how to do such things with a computer. Any other way or is this like the only way?

Also, that solution, what does that actually do? Does disabling it give anyone advantages to use proxies or what? :/