MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Does my forum needs cookie plugin? Very Important!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Guys I have just read a thread talking about some law regarding cookies and I am pretty scared!

Could you please tell me if my "Lets Forum" needs cookie plugin?

I have never played with cookies the function is a default one just as MYBB.com.
Directive 2009/136/EC governs that privacy area.

Quote:The law applies to all member states of the European Union. Websites outside of the EU must comply with the law if they are targeting people within member states. So a website based in the USA that sells to people in the UK will also have to comply.

Now for the bolded part:
And if you are outside EU (for example Canada or United States):
Quote:We’re outside of the EU, are we affected?
In practice, as enforcement is on a country by country basis, any company which has no legal EU presence, is going to be very hard to pursue a case against. This is one reason that a lot of commentators have suggested it hands advantages to non-EU businesses. A website owned by a US company can avoid the law and still serve content to the EU, whilst gathering better information about visitors and enabling them to avoid compliance notices.

To summarize it: If you country is a member state of European Union and (/ or) your content is located on a server in one of EU member states you are bound to have a cookie notification (Our sites is using cookies....), if not ignore it (every decision /action made by EU regulation bodies is only valid on EU territory).
Thanks man I live in Spain and I have my site hosted on Ipage!
In that case yes.
Thanks man very much is this cookie plugin secure?
Many forums are using it (until now there wasn't any info about that plugin being vulnerable).
(2014-03-04, 06:05 PM)Johnny S Wrote: [ -> ]Many forums are using it (until now there wasn't any info about that plugin being vulnerable).

There was actually: https://forum.mybboard.pl/watek-mybb-coo...blad_44385

Short translation: "I installed Cookie Law plugin on few forums. It worked great until one user reported a serious issue. There is a bug that allows users who deny cookies to see hidden bases." In the 2nd post there is confirmation of the bug and in 3rd a possible fix (comment/remove unset($mybb->user); - works, but don't know if it breaks anything else).
D666 please elaborate when I reject cookies then what happens?

"hidden bases" what is that???