MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: My copy of MyBB1.6.12 will not work with PHP4, but is supposed to. How do I fix that?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Your posts don't make much sense. I can't tell if you're running PHP 3, PHP 4, PHP 5.3 or PHP 5.4. PHP 4 and PHP 5.4 are very different things.

Regardless, MyBB 1.6 supports PHP 5.1 and above. It should even work with PHP 5.5.
(2014-03-09, 10:04 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Your posts don't make much sense. I can't tell if you're running PHP 3, PHP 4, PHP 5.3 or PHP 5.4. PHP 4 and PHP 5.4 are very different things.

Regardless, MyBB 1.6 supports PHP 5.1 and above. It should even work with PHP 5.5.

Which it does - flawlessly. I've been using 5.5 on MyBB Stuff since I moved to my VPS several months back.
I think I've been pretty clear in stating the issue but if you tried speed reading through this thread, yeah it may confuse you since the original issue was an unknown white page issue.

I also edited the title of the thread yesterday to very clearly state the issue on one line. The title of this thread states: My copy of MyBB1.6.12 will not work with PHP4, but is supposed to. How do I fix that?
^that's even in the title of this thread... how does that not make sense?

How many other ways do I state that I "understand it's SUPPOSED TO BE WORKING, but it only works when dropped back down to PHP3?"

I appreciate the attempts to help, but it's kind of odd to claim you don't know what I'm saying when even the title explains it. lol

Again -- PHP4 and up WILL NOT WORK with my copy of MyBB 1.6.12

When I drop back down to PHP3 on the server side, IT SUDDENLY WORKS.

Futhermore, I UNDERSTAND that it SHOULD work with PHP4, but IT DOES NOT.

Hoping that's clear lol Not trying to be rude but I have supplied more than enough info to explain this. It's like you guys DON'T WANT TO BELIEVE that there's a copy of MyBB1.6.12 in existence that only works up to PHP3? Please believe it; how do I fix it instead of being told "it works?"

Sum up:
PHP4 = no work
PHP3 = work great
I'm on 1.6.12, (and YES, I know it SHOULD work with PHP4)
What do I do next?
PHP 4? PHP 3? Are you serious? They were made ~2000 and earlier and no idea why would someone use them.

Or do you mean PHP 5.3 and 5.4? That's what Nathan asked. Otherwise it's obvious it won't work: http://docs.mybb.com/Requirements.html
Oddly enough there are quite a few hosts out there using PHP 3 and 4. I can't really comment on why those hosts use PHP3 and 4 if they're considered out dated. Even the host I just moved AWAY from was using PHP3 and they're a pretty major name... but I digress.

Basically anything above PHP3 will not work on my particular copy of MyBB, which I know for a fact is the latest MyBB install.

The server is run by a friend of mine who tried PHP4 and even went up to PHP5, but if PHP4 didn't work, we were not surprised to see PHP5 did not work.

It only works when he drops the server's PHP all the way down to PHP3, which I am very aware is a problem and I'm hoping there's a way to troubleshoot this.
(2014-03-09, 04:37 PM)CheckingThis Wrote: [ -> ]Oddly enough there are quite a few hosts out there using PHP 3 and 4. I can't really comment on why those hosts use PHP3 and 4 if they're considered out dated. Even the host I just moved AWAY from was using PHP3 and they're a pretty major name... but I digress.

Basically anything above PHP3 will not work on my particular copy of MyBB, which I know for a fact is the latest MyBB install.

The server is run by a friend of mine who tried PHP4 and even went up to PHP5, but if PHP4 didn't work, we were not surprised to see PHP5 did not work.

It only works when he drops the server's PHP all the way down to PHP3, which I am very aware is a problem and I'm hoping there's a way to troubleshoot this.
PHP 4 is EOL, as of 2007, which is 7 years ago. There is no excuse for hosts that use PHP 4. Hosts generally don't update as soon as something comes out as a general rule, to maximize compatibility with clients scripts, but PHP 5 has been out since 2005.

http://php.net/eol.php

If it's not working on PHP 5, there's probably a separate issue.
Well like I said I can't really explain or justify why my old host had me on PHP 3. Or why the default on the new host was PHP 4. Or why when bumped up to PHP 5, the script still won't work. I understand those aren't "the norm" but unfortunately it's what I've been going through. I guess I just live in an episode of the Twilight Zone. lmao Trust me, I realize I'm an odd ball here with this issue.

I guess when I get home from work tonight I'm going to just try doing a fresh MyBB install from scratch and restore my plugins and customizations by hand and see if that fixes it. If anyone has an actual suggestion of something else I can look into, feel free to let me know.
Forget about PHP 3 and PHP 4. It isn't supposed to work with either of them. You need a web host with PHP 5.1 or above. It's as simple as that. MyBB will run perfectly on PHP 5.1 and above. If it isn't, it's not the version of PHP which is the issue.
So you're 100% certain we're talking about PHP 3 and 4 without 5. at the beginning? Because in your 1st post you said:

(2014-03-09, 03:22 AM)CheckingThis Wrote: [ -> ](...) PHP5.4 was causing the error somehow?

As soon as we downgraded the server side to PHP5.3, the site worked perfectly! Smile (...) What file can I look at, or possibly replace, to get PHP5.4 accepted on MyBB? (...)

If yes, then which subversions of 3, 4 and 5 did you and your friend exactly test? And what happened in each? You're trying to say that everything worked on PHP3.x but not on PHP4.x and 5.x? This doesn't make any sense, it's technically impossible and looks like a random story for me...
666, yes that older post was me typing them wrong, which was my own fault, but since those posts I had corrected what I was typing to the unbelievable scenario of php3 and php4. I also wrote php4 in the title.

It's my own fault that older post had the wrong numbers, but I did try very hard to reply many times since then with the exact figures I meant.

Going to just try an entirely fresh install of MyBB tonight and see if that fixes it all up so we can use PHP5 and up like it should be.

My apologies for any confusion that may have been stirred by my earlier posts yesterday that were made when I was confused on the numbers.
Pages: 1 2