MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Comparison of MyBB and Vanilla
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was visiting http://www.forum-software.org/forum-comp...vs-vanilla to run a comparison on MyBB VS Vanilla and noticed 2 areas that I was wondering if there was going to be an improvement in. (Not interested in BBpress that appear in screenshots, only MyBB and Vanilla)

See the screenshots below. NOTE the far left is BBPress, then middle is MyBB and far right is Vanilla....

[Image: 9zn91.png]

And this area of improvement too: (BBPress on left, MyBB in middle, Vanilla on right)

[Image: s1nk3r.png]

I still will use MyBB at this time, due to all the other advantages it has over Vanilla.
I have tried vanilla - its nice and in the right setup I might use it over MyBB. My biggest beef is the mess of presentation and code in the files.

Right now - that single sign on is the big gimmick.
MyBB already has third party account integration via plugins. This generally isn't a problem - Plugins are there to add extra functionality which isn't necessarily needed in a standard forum package.

MyBB 2.0 will most likely be HTML5. MyBB 1.8 will still be XHTML 1.0 Transitional.
(2014-03-17, 04:31 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB already has third party account integration via plugins. This generally isn't a problem - Plugins are there to add extra functionality which isn't necessarily needed in a standard forum package.

MyBB will most likely be HTML5. MyBB 1.8 will still be XHTML 1.0 Transitional.

Thanks Nathan for the response. Did you mean MyBB 2.0 will most likely be HTML5? I'm not a coder, so if that's correct, is HTML5 better then XHTML Strict?
Yes, sorry.

It depends on what you mean by better... HTML5 has more features (Desktop notifications, drag and drop, and a bunch of other neat things) and is newer technology. For most administrators it doesn't really matter if their forum is HTML4 or HTML5, but HTML5 is pretty much the standard for modern web design.
(2014-03-17, 05:07 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, sorry.

It depends on what you mean by better... HTML5 has more features (Desktop notifications, drag and drop, and a bunch of other neat things) and is newer technology. For most administrators it doesn't really matter if their forum is HTML4 or HTML5, but HTML5 is pretty much the standard for modern web design.

* note that desktop notifications, drag & drop etc. rely on JavaScript and can also be implemented when using XHTML - HTML5 merely provides an API for this type of functionality.
(2014-03-17, 04:11 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]I have tried vanilla - its nice and in the right setup I might use it over MyBB. My biggest beef is the mess of presentation and code in the files.

not sure i would call it a gimmick, but it sure is a security issue in my opinion. people tend to use the same password anyway so I suppose it does not matter
(2014-03-17, 04:11 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]I have tried vanilla - its nice and in the right setup I might use it over MyBB. My biggest beef is the mess of presentation and code in the files.

I thought that the big gimmick with Vanilla was the tags instead of categories (I'm not a big fan of it but, some people might like it). I never even thought about the whole single sign-on thing.
I tried Vanilla and fell in love. I love Vanilla, but MyBB feels more customizable. I can customize it to my liking to suit my board.
(2014-03-19, 11:08 PM)bedrok Wrote: [ -> ]I tried Vanilla and fell in love. I love Vanilla, but MyBB feels more customizable. I can customize it to my liking to suit my board.

And lets not forget that Vanilla sacrifices a lot of resources for their class system for easy plugin making which is a bad thing if you're an already big forum.