MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Lower CPU usage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My host just shut down my site for using too much CPU. They told me I have to optimize the my scripts to reduce CPU usage. What are some things I can do to reduce the CPU my site uses?

Some more information.

There's about 200k posts, 8k members. Generally a few dozen people online at a time, and not more than a few hundred during peak times. I'm using HostGator.

Plugins being used:
Google SEO
Enable Signature on Groups Basis
Nofollow Signatures & Member Websites
Page Manager
PostAd
Referral in Profile
Spell Check
Stop forum spam
Undo Delete
Did your host tell you if any script in particular was causing excessive load?
Move to VPS!
I asked but they don't seem to know what script specifically.

They told me my options are to optimize the site or move to a dedicated server. Apparently VPS isn't an option because it's still a shared server. I don't think the site should be needing a dedicated server though.
Quote:They told me my options are to optimize the site or move to a dedicated server.

That's like an accountant saying you either need to save money or get more of it. Not exactly helpful.

It sounds like they're trying to bump you up to a dedicated server. They should be able to tell you where the problem lies quite easily. I'd keep pushing for an direct answer if I were you, there will be someone there who is qualified to run a few commands and find out for you.
Sounding like their server is full with clients or overbooked. Host tend to fill their share hosting full with clients. Expecting low activity.

http://www.hostingsthatsuck.com/hostgator-sucks/

Mybb uses resources, but it's not heavy like IPB. I guess move it to dedicated server.I would consider move it to another host. The user browsing feature and some other small stuff can be disable, but if bots flooding it with heavy users, plus resources of images that you host as attachments and ads with hundreds of users all on at the same time. I see it can be a resource issue.
(2014-03-20, 11:02 AM)oasis Wrote: [ -> ]I guess move it to dedicated server.

A forum that size doesn't really need a dedicated server. I have a 670k post forum on a cheap VPS with 2gb RAM.
Yeah, I would just move to another host at this point. Get your files and run. This happened to my site on two different hosts back when I had like 5 active users. I shouldn't have been causing that much trouble with only 5 active users.

Bluehost never did this. They even explain that it is their policy to throttle your website instead lock your account. I still had trouble with the sql server crashing though.

VPS Rocks. I have never had any issue with it. I've had almost 100% uptime and get my hosting for under $100 a year from Virpus. Lots of people say they have trouble with Virpus. I haven't experienced that.