MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Administrator seeing my PM?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2014-03-19, 10:47 PM)ClarkNight Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, I think I found it! ;

Configuration - user registration - enable or disable registration - then under it;

registration method; choose administration activation.

Where to donate $ to MyBB?

I seen your issue has been solved. I do not think you can currently donate to the forums.
Edit: You can donate to MyBB here.
We currently cannot accept monetary donations, but we appreciate the thought. Wink

You can always help support others users or create content for the mods site. Any kind of community contribution is value to us. Smile
Since the messages are stored in the forum's database, what would stop the board administrator (with database access, of course) from reading it right out of the database?

Not that they'd even need to, there are plugins that make message lookups and logging even easier and more user-friendly.
(2014-03-21, 10:51 PM)dylanhart Wrote: [ -> ]Since the messages are stored in the forum's database, what would stop the board administrator (with database access, of course) from reading it right out of the database?

Not that they'd even need to, there are plugins that make message lookups and logging even easier and more user-friendly.

You could try something crazy like encrypting all messages in DB but showing the messages in plaintext when it comes to frontend if possible.
Even with encryption, the administrator having control of the db and file system will be able to find out the encryption key. Therefore will still be able to read private messages. But it does add a layer of protection that some admins wouldn't be able to get around.
So simply put, there's no way to send PMs 100% privat.
You could always use an external encryption . . . ofc that would require that all your recipients used the same encrypt/decrypt algorithm.

I just don't send sensitive information to someone else's database . . .
It's the same in PhpBB, and vBulletin, so just to let others know, changing script won't remove the problem/concern.
It's not a big deal at all. Simply don't put anything too private in private messages.
Pages: 1 2