MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Plugins To Stop Spammers Giving Me a Headache
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have had my forum now since just before Christmas. Up until a few weeks ago I was using Fassim Spam Plugin. Then I get messages from my members saying they can't log into the board. Ok, disable that one. Install Stop Forum Spam. Again same thing. Even Askismet is not letting them in.

I don't know what to do any more. It's not like spammers are getting onto my forum to post as I have to validate and approve them. They still register though and this morning I had to go through 9 of them banning and then deleting.
You website feels slow this is probably due to some extra JavaScript that is conflicting with cookies! That shoutbox or whatever you have there could be the issue!
Thank you. Trust me if the forum were at all "slow" my members would be letting me know. All comment on how fast the site loads.
Well I used, Stop Forum Spam. I soon learned it is really bad, here is the plug ins I use to prevent Spam Bots getting on my forums.
Time Registered
CheckBox Validation
Registration Security Question

These are all useful to prevent spam bots.

Kind Regards,
Apraxiahs
Thank you. I have downloaded the Registration Security Question Plugin but haven't installed it. I had a quick look at Checkbox Validation, My forum is set to admin validation(me) so there is no chance of them getting in to post. None have yet! Smile
(2014-03-22, 12:30 PM)Spice Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you. I have downloaded the Registration Security Question Plugin but haven't installed it. I had a quick look at Checkbox Validation, My forum is set to admin validation(me) so there is no chance of them getting in to post. None have yet! Smile

Well if you use all three of those you could change it to instant activation instead. The checkbox validation appears on new posts and threads, just set it for members and they can not post if they got past the three steps of verification.
my forum got less spam. So set your board like this

1. Enable recaptcha
2. Install Stop forum spam.
3. Change your powered by mybb to forum software by mybb or something like that as long you put mybb link there Big Grin
Thank you. I read about the recaptcha so will enable that as well.
I've put Fassim's Anti Spam plugin back in as well. It is doing the trick so far.
I don't want to sound like a douuche but Registration Security Question along with Stop Forum Spam works really well. I can browse through the blocked registrations logs. With the enabled I only see one spammer getting through per month, instead of the hundreds previously. Never had a false positive as well.
(2014-03-23, 10:54 PM)Tankey Wrote: [ -> ]I don't want to sound like a douuche but Registration Security Question along with Stop Forum Spam works really well. I can browse through the blocked registrations logs. With the enabled I only see one spammer getting through per month, instead of the hundreds previously. Never had a false positive as well.

With Stop Forum Spam I had the issue of it registering legit users as Spammers, I got around 100 emails in less than 2 weeks due to them being denied access to join at 10%.

Kind Regards,
Apraxiahs