MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is MyBB planning on using HACK soon?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm just wondering, rumors say that HACK would be easier and faster to use for developers without leaving too many flaws behind. I think it could improve the MyBB progress with this new lang.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about:

http://hacklang.org/

Allegedly, The facebook company came up with this new coding language.
No, I'm afraid your understanding of Hack is a little fuzzy.

Hack is an addition to the HHVM virtual machine, not something which could be distributed in an open source package. It's designed to make PHP a little stricter and add additional features which you'd commonly find in lower level languages. As far as I'm aware Hack is only being used internally at Facebook. If you were a software engineer working on a PHP code base within a company, then you might consider using Hack.
Of course, because using a little-adopted language that requires an equally little-adopted runtime (HHVM) would be the best idea in the world...
Besides everything they said, it doesn't make sense to use a 'language' that is in beta for stable software. Honestly, I don't see any gain to using hack over using common php frameworks that are extremely well tested and stable.
(2014-03-26, 01:36 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]Besides everything they said, it doesn't make sense to use a 'language' that is in beta for stable software. Honestly, I don't see any gain to using hack over using common php frameworks that are extremely well tested and stable.

True but I was thinking they could bring it into play in MyBB 2.0 which is far away and hopefully by then it is more stable.

I've noticed many forum softwares are discussing these in their public sections. I thought it was worth mentioning here on MyBB Dodgy
Quote:True but I was thinking they could bring it into play in MyBB 2.0 which is far away and hopefully by then it is more stable.

Not a chance. It's too risky and not even worth the thought. Rewriting MyBB in Python would be a saner choice, but that's not going to happen either. This isn't the same as choosing a framework to use, you're essentially saying MyBB wouldn't be able to run on PHP hosts any more and anyone wanting to upgrade to 2.0 would need to switch hosts. It's just not going to happen.