MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How do you move a post to a new thread and move a thread to another forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have made a test forum to learn how to administer MyBB so that when I go public in the end of June 2014 I have some knowledge of fixing problems.

I am using MyBB version 1.6.12 and PHP Version 5.3.27. The forum is now in a subdomain to my domain, hosted at Dreamhost. The url to the forum is http://www.forum.gauteferstad.com/

What happens if a user makes a post in a thread, and that post should actually be a thread of its own? So that it doesn't completely confuse the thread topic.

And what happens if someone starts a new thread, but in the wrong forum?

I am trying to find out how I can move a post and as administrator make that as a new thread. And I am trying to find out how I can move a misplaced thread to the correct forum.

I have searched the MyBB community forum and also the administrator panel, but not quite found what I am looking for. I am guessing this is possible and that I am looking in all the wrong places.

Any help is appreciated. I have not installed any mods and everything is so far completetly default.
You can use the split and move functions. You can split a thread by clicking the split Thread option in showthread moderator options. You can move a thread the same way.
Moving threads between forums is a core feature using the "Inline Thread Moderation" tools within a forum and you can create a custom moderation tool to do the same within the thread page itself.

To move posts between threads, there is a plugin by Starpaul20 that makes it easy for you.
SOLVED. Thank you Smile
I used the Inline Thread Moderation "Move Threads", checking off the boxes for the exact thread(s) and successfully placed the thread in another forum. At this point I am viewing the threads in that particular subforum.

I used the Inline Post Moderation "Split Posts", checking off the boxes for the exact post(s) and successfully made a new thread with those posts (after getting the option to call that thread a new name). At this point I am viewing the posts in a particular thread.

So, when viewing threads in a forum or subforum you see Inline Thread Moderation. When viewing posts in a thread, you see Inline Post Moderation. This is when you are logged in as "admin". I was logged in as my "testuser1", where I off course cannot see those options.

When searching the forum and also using Google I ended up thinking that I needed to use the "Home/Moderator Tools" and then "Add New Thread Tool". For a newbie like myself, adding something or uploading a mod is for the moment scary stuff. But it is a testforum until June, so I should off course play around with it.

Thank you too both of you. It helped me solve my problem.