MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mybb 1.6 End Of Life
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well with the upcoming beta release of 1.8 "when its ready" I want to inquire about the end of life for mybb 1.6. I am currently designing and building a forum at the moment and have a few questions.

1. How long will mybb 1.6 be supported ie major bug and security fixes.
2. Will the forum support still provided, and if so for roughly how long.
3. How difficult will it be to port a theme from 1.6 to 1.8.
(2014-04-08, 10:59 AM)LostGnome Wrote: [ -> ]Well with the upcoming beta release of 1.8 "when its ready" I want to inquire about the end of life for mybb 1.6. I am currently designing and building a forum at the moment and have a few questions.

1. How long will mybb 1.6 be supported ie major bug and security fixes.
2. Will the forum support still provided, and if so for roughly how long.
3. How difficult will it be to port a theme from 1.6 to 1.8.

1. For 12 months after 1.8 is released.
2. I Don't know. I will let someone else answer this.
3. Not very difficult, but it will need to be entirely re-coded because you can't use 1.6 themes on 1.8.
(2014-04-08, 11:15 AM)Greg Winston Wrote: [ -> ]1. For 12 months after 1.8 is released.
3. Not very difficult, but it will need to be entirely re-coded because you can't use 1.6 themes on 1.8.
That should give me more than enough time to upgrade and allow other people beta test the final release. Just wanted to make sure that I would get security fixes at minimum while the major kinks are worked out. I know that the mybb team are working hard to get 1.8 out the door without any bugs or security issues, but having been burned by vbulletin in the past I avoid major releases for a few months to let the kinks work themselves out.

Not particularly concerned with forum support to be perfectly honest, while it would be a nice benefit I do not foresee requiring support after launch.

I was not sure how much the template system was changed and did not wish to invest a lot of man hours into making a great design just to have to start from scratch again.

ETA: With the above information I think its safe for me to deploy mybb for my next project.
AFAIK 1.4 was supported up to eight months after 1.6 stable release.