MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: the most important issue MyBB faces 502 503 522 523
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
502 503 522 523 errors popping up regularly from CloudFlare. Not only with my installation, but with community.mybb.com as well.

This is the only forum software I've ever seen it on and I'm not a coder, but I do have 25 years experience admin and messing with computers (first modem was 300bps and ran my first bulletin boards on an Apple IIc and C64)

I have spent hours with tech support and never close to a solution.

This is crucial. If its happening several times a day for me, it's happening hundreds of times throughout all users through a day.

I have no idea even how to begin looking at the issue, but its got to be fixed if at all possible. It makes a terrible impression when these things pop up.

I would guess I've had it happen 3 times over the last 24 here at this site.

EDIT: I literally just got the error here while trying to post the thread. If it were just my site or just yours, I would think it was host related. But since its hapoening with both, and I've never seen it on another forum in my life and its happening multiple times 'regularly'. Though if we use the same host, perhaps it is a conflict between host and MyBB package. I use NameCheap business class shared.

12.30 +7 GMT
[attachment=31337]

And again while making the edit
[attachment=31340]
This isn't an issue with the MyBB software. Put simply, our servers are under a lot of strain from bots at this time making the pages load slowly.

Quote:Generated in 6.5927958 seconds (81.29% PHP / 18.71% MySQL)

Sometimes they load too slow and CloudFlare cannot make the the connection to our web server, and ends up dropping the request. It does and can happen to any other forum/website, it's just coincidental you haven't seen it elsewhere.
I'm telling you it's NEVER happened on any forum I've ever encountered, but it just happened 3x in 5 minutes on your installation and regularly on my site, and you're saying it's coincedence? And due to 'bots'. Sorry man, is mybb the only forum software that has lots of bots? Please don't be blind man.
(2014-04-09, 06:10 AM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]but it just happened 3x in 5 minutes on your installation

As mentioned, that is due to high load on the community forums due to bots.

(2014-04-09, 06:10 AM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]and regularly on my site

Look in your error logs, if you're not seeing 50x errors in your logs too then the issue lies between Cloudflare and your server (i.e. if my forums are under high load then I get gateway timeouts in my nginx logs because it can't connect to PHP-FPM and Cloudflare shows their error page for that, but if only Cloudflare is showing an error page then the issue lies between Cloudflare and my server).

I also suggest you read the documentation on the 522 and 533 errors as they are Cloudflare-specific and both state the issue is with establishing a connection between Cloudflare and your server (Not a software issue with the server)

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/...-Error-522
https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/...-Error-523
Notice: If your forum software is the ONLY forum software it happens to and REGULARLY, you might want to consider that you're WRONG. If it happens 3x in 5 minutes, that more or less means your software has become virtually useless. I think you're remaining blind. But if the developers don't want to look at the issue, I can't force it.

Sorry for being rude. I just need to figure it out. It's downright embarrassing and I've never seen it anywhere else. Embarrassingly, I surf the internet 6-12 hours a day 7 days a week... So I'm not blowing smoke.
(2014-04-09, 07:33 AM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]If your forum software is the ONLY forum software it happens to and REGULARLY, you might want to consider that you're WRONG.

In my case, the forums are not the only affected thing, not does it happen regularly at all. Cloudflare's servers do hiccup from time to time (Usually a few times a month), could be for any number of reasons and it usually doesn't last for more than a few minutes and generally only affects a small portion of users due to anycast/Cloudflare's internal routing.

(2014-04-09, 07:33 AM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]If it happens 3x in 5 minutes, that more or less means your software has become virtually useless. I think you're remaining blind.

In the case of my site, my eyes are open. New Relic for monitoring PHP response times and errors, MySQL slow query log enabled, Munin for all monitoring everything else.
I can see when issues arise, I get email alerts, I can see what went wrong on the charts.
MyBB is not the cause of Cloudflare error pages (Except that one time I was getting CF gateway errors when people tried loading a 100k post long thread in threaded mode, but that is an abnormality).

(2014-04-09, 07:33 AM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]But if the developers don't want to look at the issue, I can't force it.

There isn't a MyBB-related issue to be looked at. If the timeouts are caused by MyBB then you should get them just as often when browsing a site that is not behind Cloudflare.

Yeah, having the community forums slow/throwing errors on a regular basis isn't really a good thing, but it really is the backend server being slammed by requests causing requests time time out/Cloudflare's error page getting shown -- take a look at the online users:
Quote:528 users active in the past 15 minutes (12 members, 2 of whom are invisible, and 512 guests).
That is significantly higher than usual.

@The MyBB forum staff/admins: If not already, consider setting up Varnish in front of nginx to cache static version of pages for guests (I assume the bots won't have any cookies so it should be pretty effective at alleviating that load)

@DrXotick who is your host, because seeing frequent CF error pages isn't usual, so it is possible that CF's IPs are being rate-limited on your server or something - that'll cause a lot of error pages.
(2014-04-09, 06:10 AM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]I'm telling you it's NEVER happened on any forum I've ever encountered, but it just happened 3x in 5 minutes on your installation and regularly on my site, and you're saying it's coincedence? And due to 'bots'. Sorry man, is mybb the only forum software that has lots of bots? Please don't be blind man.

This site serves hundreds of thousands of requests every day. member.php?action=register is constantly being hit with requests from spam bots. Yes, that's every second. I've seen the logs. I'd appreciate you not calling me blind when you're trying to put the blame on the MyBB software, which is a ridiculous claim.

Quote:Notice: If your forum software is the ONLY forum software it happens to and REGULARLY, you might want to consider that you're WRONG. If it happens 3x in 5 minutes, that more or less means your software has become virtually useless. I think you're remaining blind. But if the developers don't want to look at the issue, I can't force it.

Not a MyBB issue. Simple as that. I'm an experienced developer and system administrator, I know for a fact that has nothing to do with MyBB. If you don't want to take my word for it then fine, it won't change the fact you're wrong.