MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to change colours without a new theme
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Folks,

I'm quite happy with the default theme of my forums but I'd like to change the blue colours to green. I don't really want to install a new theme.

Is there a simple way to change the colours?

I assume I edit the style sheets but I can't find a simple idiots guide on how to go about it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

TIA
It depends on how your colors are made. If they are image based you will need new images. If it is css then you need to find all the blue instances (these will be hex codes usually) and replace them with green. You can do this is the global.css. Copy the global.css in advanced mode and paste to your favorite editor (Notepad++) and then find replace all the blue hex codes with green ones.
This theme http://mods.mybb.com/view/dnt-advantage by @Dark Neo .

I wish MyBB had a built-in theme-colorizer (like vBulletin 4.x.x has),
or someone can create a mod.

Or someone build a colorizeit like phpBB has ( http://www.colorizeit.com/styles/phpbb-g...ilver.html ) , where one can change-colors, and SAVE and download their customization.
Thanks for the replies. I have tried to install a couple of themes but I have a few problems:

1) The instructions I've found don't seem to match the way the theme is constructed. The folder structure on a couple I looked at was different. Also, docs I have looked at are not written at a simple enough level for me to follow. Although I am computer literate and have even built web pages from raw HTML in the past, that was before the days of CSS and such like.

2) The 'Import a theme' menu in the Admin CP says upload a local file but it doesn't say which file is the one. I guessed at the XML but when I tried it, I found the one I was trying (which looked nice and green!) was for an older version (or so the message went) even though the heading on the page I downloaded it from said they were all for the current version (I'm on 1.6.12)

3) Several links in the docs area about themes seem to be broken. (I haven't yet found who to report these to.)

I guess I just need to set aside some time to study the docs a bit more carefully - I just get impatient!
Themes are not always updated. What you can do is import a theme and tell it to ignore the version. That will create more work as you might have to edit some templates; it all depends on how the theme is built really, but you can usually find the templates needing an edit in the Find Updated Templates tab (ACP > Themes> Templates).

This thread : http://community.mybb.com/thread-33809.html - it was made for 1.4 but most of what it says holds true, that is handy to try and find the css variables to change. You can also use the browser to inspect elements and see what colors are being used (Chrome, Firefox and Opera all have built in Inspection tools).
(2014-04-13, 09:48 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]This thread : http://community.mybb.com/thread-33809.html - it was made for 1.4 but most of what it says holds true, that is handy to try and find the css variables to change. You can also use the browser to inspect elements and see what colors are being used (Chrome, Firefox and Opera all have built in Inspection tools).

Thanks for the pointer to that, very useful guide!

[/quote]
[attachment=31374]

Well, I've had a lot of success, thanks for the advice. However, there are a couple of gaps in that post and a couple of things that are making me scratch my head!

Hopefully, the attached screen shot will show what I mean. Everything is nice and green except the Forum header and footer. They start green but get overwritten in a fraction of a second as it gets displayed.

Also, I don't know where the 'New Thread' and other buttons come from.

Finally, the green text on a green background doesn't work to well and I can't work out where it is set.

Any pointers would be gratefully received.

(2014-04-13, 03:11 PM)filbert Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I've had a lot of success, thanks for the advice. However, there are a couple of gaps in that post and a couple of things that are making me scratch my head!

Hopefully, the attached screen shot will show what I mean. Everything is nice and green except the Forum header and footer. They start green but get overwritten in a fraction of a second as it gets displayed.

I've worked it out after looking at the video in http://community.mybb.com/thread-109137-...#pid794658

I had seen there was an image but it was so small, I thought it was just the button to collapse the panel. I hadn't realised it gets repeated across (and that's what the 'repeat-x' means). I made a new one with the colour I want and it's now working!

I guess the other buttons are images as well... hopefully the videos on that tutorial will help me work all that out
hi filbert, sorry, I missed your reply. Whatyou can also do for the .thead and .tfoot is instead of using an image you can set a background-color.

Like this

background-color: #43995E;
(2014-04-15, 10:57 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]hi filbert, sorry, I missed your reply. Whatyou can also do for the .thead and .tfoot is instead of using an image you can set a background-color.

Like this

background-color: #43995E;

Thanks, the original code was
background: #5d8a45 url(images/XXX/thead_bg.png) top left repeat-x

I didn't understand what the 'url' and following code meant. I do now.

When I tried to change the colour by changing the value, it got overwritten by the image. As the image was so small, I has disregarded it originally. It was only watching the video that explaind what the repeat-x bit meant.

As you can see, I don't speak CSS! I guess I'll need to learn some

Rgrds

Peter