MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Does hiding links decrease Google page ranking?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a plugin that hides links from guests. How to fix so Google can read internal links?

I don't see an option in Webmaster tools to give Google an account.

1) Is there someway to edit the plugin so Google bot isn't blocked from seeing links?

http://mods.mybb.com/view/registered-links

2) How important is it for Google to be able to see links anyways. In terms of SEO. If my whole site is indexed... Would being able to see internal links improve ranking?
Google hates hidden stuff so I wouldn't risk it. But I queses the plugin stops that content from rendering so it's not showing in the source code and since it's not in the source code you are OK.

P.S. I am not PHP expert but you can create a simple IP address filter and if it's Google IP address show content Smile

<?php
$allow = array("216.239.51.99");
if (in_array ($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'], $allow)) {
   //show code to Google
} 
else
{
// hide code to Google
}

?>
Thanks for this Marcus. Actually I have been hiding links pretty much from the start.

There is member only content that I don't want cached.

My issue is regarding hiding the actual links inside posts. I'm wondering if there's some way to mod this plugin to allow bots to see the links. Maybe I could add the code you posted to it.

Or possibly a php conditional that bypasses the plugin altogether for bots.

Anybody know if this is even worth it? 99% of my site is indexed. Just Google can't see posted internal links. My main wonder is if it will increase page rank....
You have to request a plugin for this man!

You don't have to be SEO expert to understand that internal links are crucial for better SEO!

You can try this not tested:

function registeredlinks_process(&$message)
{
	global $lang, $mybb;
	$allow = array("216.239.51.99");

if (!in_array ($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'], $allow)) 
{

if ($mybb->user['uid'] == 0)
	{
		$lang->load('registeredlinks');

$lang->reglinks_text = str_replace("{bburl}",$mybb->settings['bburl'],$lang->reglinks_text);

$message = preg_replace('#<a href="(.*?)</a>#i', $lang->reglinks_text, $message);

}

return $message;

}
}
Thanks for this plugin Marcus. I'm somewhat surprised there's not already a plugin for this. To block guests from seeing links, but allow bots.

I'm also skeptical that allowing bots to see internal links in posts will increase page rank. My site is fully indexed and the pages / posts themselves are not no-follow. Its just the links within posts.

Anyone else can chime in here?