MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Collapse [-] and expand [+]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hy everyone,

if you hover the icons collapse.gif and collapse_collapsed.gif it shows the text [-] respectively [+] as you already know. Is it possible to add a more detailed information text to the alt and title element?

For example you could add the following two variables to the global.lang.php file:
$l['collapse'] = "Collapse [-]";
$l['collapsed] = "Expand [+]";
.. or ..
$l['collapse'] = "Collapse category";
$l['collapsed] = "Expand category";

Well, I know it is in my opinion a blemish but it would be easy to implement. A detailed information text would be more user-friendly for the users who do not know or understand the meaning of [-] and [+]. Blush

What do you say? Thanks in advance.
English is not my native language, sorry.
alt is meant to be used if the image isn't displayed; It should be Collapse or Expand to make sense for text to speech browsers; the +/- should not be included in the text.

BTW, we collapse much more than just categories, so the word category should not be in the language file. I make the board statistics, tag cloud, and spoiler tags collapsible, too.
MAybe better to make an option for collapse category in forum by default etc
Didn't know if I should create a new thread for this....

I would like to suggest to give the two png-files a bit more of differentiation. It is almost not possible to see any difference between them. It might depend on the screen solution and if you are free of any sight disorder.... Wink
Yep, I think the old ones were actually much better - switching back to them or anything similar will be the first thing I'll do with my themes. These are not intuitive and weird, in my opinion, but I doubt they will be changed in default package.
I agree it's hard to differentiate, but the big clue is whether the content of the table is below it or not. Wink The icons as just a fancy indicator.
But someone who will be new to MyBB 1.8 may not know from their past experience that this button closes tables. Big clue doesn't matter then.
If they press the button inquisitively then the answer will soon be obvious...

(assuming they have javascript enabled)
That's true. Smile

But in this case you would not need any changing png-files.... Toungue
(2014-06-29, 03:12 PM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]If they press the button inquisitively then the answer will soon be obvious...
Should you know that before pressing a button? Toungue
Pages: 1 2