MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: CloudFlare , who is using it ? and why ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I've never had issues either.
I use Incapsula instead and see no reason to use Cloudflare over it. Heard too many bad things about it honestly and have seen it with too many errors on other websites (when it was Cloudflares doing instead of the site itself).
(2014-04-21, 08:05 AM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]I have a similar experience with cloudflare. When it's not enabled, I never get errors. If enabled, will get 503 504 522 523. Cloudflare says those are just errors being passed on from the host... but they never shown when cloudflare is disabled...

The only errors we would display are in the 52x range (those are proprietary codes on our end).

Everything that you're saying indicates that something is blocking requests from our IPs when you have us on, such as a firewall or security plugin, and those are addressed by making sure CloudFlare's IPs are whitelisted. The #1 cause of false site offline issues are requests from our IPs being blocked.

(2014-04-19, 11:11 AM)Vanz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-18, 09:57 PM)damoncloudflare Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:"7 Showed CloudFlare errors, after 5 seconds they disappear and the page(site) loads. 2 showed just blank pages, until I reloaded a few times.

In the past 4 years I never once had this happen ( pre-CloudFlare ).

Anyone had similar experience after adding CloudFlare ?

What errors? 522?

Blank pages, however, are almost never caused by us.

Actually, it was PAGE LOADING icon just keep on spinning in my browser, after 5 seconds I would "RELOAD" the screen/page.

The browser spinning like that really isn't going to be an issue on our end (sounds more like an issue with your actual server, or something limiting requests).
I personally don't use CloudFlare, so I can't really comment too much on its benefits/issues, but this is my view on why I'm not using it.
I just don't particularly like the privacy implications of forwarding all traffic through a 3rd party. Unfortunately SSL isn't free, and for it to work anyway, you need to get CloudFlare to essentially do a MITM attack on it (as far as I understand it at least; am happy to be corrected on this) - whilst this is understandable from a technical point of view, it just doesn't quite feel right.

I have noticed that there are some limitations, such as capping the max upload size to ~100MB (probably not an issue for forums, can be problematic for some sites).
As a user, I've been caught some times in some of their protective measures, such as a "redirecting" page stuck in a refresh loop until I enable cookies. API (eg RESTful) calls sometimes get trapped by CloudFlare too, though I don't know whether this is something a configuration option can fix.
I gave CloudFlare another week of testing, and it failed me Sad

Every day for a week I ran a test on all my sites, all are on the same server, but 1 site goes thru Cloudflare, 3 times the site on Cloudflare hanged, and twice received 5 series error message Sad .

None of the other sites had any issues at the time I was testing.

I've had errors on both Firefox and Internet Explorer browsers on the CF assigned site.

All sites tested using both browsers.

Maybe I'm just one of the unlucky users. LOL.

I'm going to test other similar service providers.
I've avoided using it as quite a few sites I've seen implement it have way more problems with it than they ever did before. Until I truly need a service like it, I'm staying away.
(2014-04-23, 03:16 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]I personally don't use CloudFlare, so I can't really comment too much on its benefits/issues, but this is my view on why I'm not using it.
I just don't particularly like the privacy implications of forwarding all traffic through a 3rd party. Unfortunately SSL isn't free, and for it to work anyway, you need to get CloudFlare to essentially do a MITM attack on it (as far as I understand it at least; am happy to be corrected on this) - whilst this is understandable from a technical point of view, it just doesn't quite feel right.

I have noticed that there are some limitations, such as capping the max upload size to ~100MB (probably not an issue for forums, can be problematic for some sites).
As a user, I've been caught some times in some of their protective measures, such as a "redirecting" page stuck in a refresh loop until I enable cookies. API (eg RESTful) calls sometimes get trapped by CloudFlare too, though I don't know whether this is something a configuration option can fix.

SSL will be free later this year. Not sure what you mean by MITM attacks.

The upload limits depend on your pricing plan.

"As a user, I've been caught some times in some of their protective measures, such as a "redirecting" page stuck in a refresh loop until I enable cookies."
If a site owner has enabled I'm Under Attack Mode to cope with a DDoS attack, cookies and JavaScript are required to get past the interstitial page.

"API (eg RESTful) calls sometimes get trapped by CloudFlare too, though I don't know whether this is something a configuration option can fix. "
Error messages? Security measures are possible if the site hasn't whitelisted the IP(s) and/or if the behavior looks like an attack. The site owner whitelisting would take care of that.

(2014-04-23, 06:56 AM)Vanz Wrote: [ -> ]I gave CloudFlare another week of testing, and it failed me Sad

Every day for a week I ran a test on all my sites, all are on the same server, but 1 site goes thru Cloudflare, 3 times the site on Cloudflare hanged, and twice received 5 series error message Sad .

None of the other sites had any issues at the time I was testing.

I've had errors on both Firefox and Internet Explorer browsers on the CF assigned site.

All sites tested using both browsers.

Maybe I'm just one of the unlucky users. LOL.

I'm going to test other similar service providers.

Did you open a support ticket with what the error messages were?
(2014-04-25, 04:52 PM)damoncloudflare Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure what you mean by MITM attacks.
I think he meant that it would be easy for Cloudflare to do man-in-the-middle attacks.
Sorry if I find a reaction from a service itself on a support board trying to bust every negative feedback as having zero credibility, that's like asking a politician who to vote on.
(2014-04-25, 04:52 PM)damoncloudflare Wrote: [ -> ]SSL will be free later this year.
Good to hear, as I believe SSL is going to be much more important in the future.

(2014-04-25, 04:52 PM)damoncloudflare Wrote: [ -> ]Error messages? Security measures are possible if the site hasn't whitelisted the IP(s) and/or if the behavior looks like an attack. The site owner whitelisting would take care of that.
I don't believe whitelisting IPs to be a viable solution for a public API, but thanks for the explanation nonetheless, as well as the other information.
Pages: 1 2 3 4