MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What Can I Do With The Portal ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. Total noob here. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around some of the basic concepts behind building a forum and I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone could answer for me.

First, I was wondering what I could do with the portal feature.

Can I use this feature to create a home page or landing page for my forum that displays automatically updated content from my hot topics and recent posts, etc.?

Is that how that works? And if so, could someone please tell me how?

Second, is there a way for users to embed images in a post without using a url, besides uploading the image as an attachment... or is that something I'm just going to have to live with?

Thanks in advance.

Slim pickins on the help around here huh? I guess when I'm done figuring this stuff out I'll lend you guys a hand.
A lot of people have modified the portal page to be a home page that looks and feels like a front page for a website rather than a forum system.
For your first question, yes you can.
You just need to know some HTML and CSS so that you can move around elements. The easiest and best part is that MyBB's function calls are already defined so you don't really need to have to worry about (for example) losing the code on how the recent posts part works.
Do you mean the img tags? A user can use either the image tags, or the attachment feature to show a photo. There isn't really a way to embed them into a post without always having that hard copy (which is where it turns into an attachment).
Thanks for the reply KnownSyntax. I've done a lot of reading and I think this software is going to be just right for what I want to do.

Regarding the image thing... I noticed that in this forum when someone attaches an image,the black box around the image isn't there. I'm assuming that's a plugin or mod? Also how do I add multiple images with text between them?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for that question.
(2014-04-19, 01:54 PM)Solidify Wrote: [ -> ]Regarding the image thing... I noticed that in this forum when someone attaches an image,the black box around the image isn't there. I'm assuming that's a plugin or mod?

Assuming you don't use the default theme it should be an issue with your theme.

(2014-04-19, 01:54 PM)Solidify Wrote: [ -> ]Also how do I add multiple images with text between them?

Can you elaborate?