MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Google SEO plugin Modifications and .htaccess Advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I'm using Google SEO plugin on the forum with good results, however, we only have one large forum. Currently, our link is this...

http://kritterbox.com/Forum-Think-Inside...-It-s-FREE

For SEO purposes, I'd like to get rid of everything after the trailing slash after the dot com name.

In other words, I'd like the url to read http://kritterbox.com/ with no Google SEO plugin rewriting the prefix (Forum-) or forum title (Think-Inside-the-Box It-s FREE)

Currently we are using Portal Redirect plugin to go directly to the forum, bypassing the Portal altogether, as the Portal is useless with one large forum.

I know the majority of that can be done in .htaccess and, I should be able to lose the Portal Redirect Plugin altogether by adding a few lines of redirect in .htaccess, but I'm scratching my head how to bring this together.

Has anyone had success doing anything similar, or can be kind enough to point me in the right direction as I have searched community.mybb.com and can't find any information regarding my particular needs.

TIA!
Jay
Moved to Plugin Support.
The plugin (in particular redirect/canonical) will fight you on this, using an empty URL in place of a specific forum as the index is simply not part of the concept. So you will either have to disable those features of the plugin or make code changes to allow for your requirements.

The closest you can get w/o code changes is using "?" or "/" as the forum URL scheme and then do a RewriteRule ^/*$ forumdisplay.php?fid=x [L,QSA] with x being the id of your forum.

But that won't really give you empty URL, instead it will always give you a trailing extra ? or / at all times.

I haven't tested it, redirect may still go haywire on it as it's simply not expected.
Thanks a million frostschutz! Your suggestions are very helpful, and gave me the direction I was looking for. I'll play around with it and see if I can get something close of what I'm after.
I may well be able to live with a trailing "/" Wink
I'll get on this tomorrow and If I can get it working with redirects, I'll let you know.
it's really confusing for me