MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to optimize MyBB for better performance ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
How to optimize MyBB for better performance ?
likes for less server load, increase speed, more than faster pages load, etc.
does Cloudflare help to accelerate the speed.

thank in advance, regard.
Don't install plugins you don't really need.
Use a PHP cache like APC or Xcache to cache compiled PHP.
Use tools like PageSpeed to find what kind of changes you can make on the front-end to speed things up.
Cloudflare may help a bit as they will cache things like images/CSS/JS on servers nearer to your users, but it won't reduce the actual PHP execution times.
Check your MySQL configuration, notable the key buffers and query cache. MySQL Tuner may help, but do research and understand the settings before you change them though.
thanks for reply, how to install Xcache and config on MyBB ?
i already search but not found.
MyBB doesn't need any configuration for Xcache, once you've installed it, it should just work.
If it doesn't show up in your phpinfo after installing you may need to load the module through your php.ini file. http://xcache.lighttpd.net/wiki/XcacheIni covers that + extra settings.
(2014-04-27, 10:35 AM)Cameron:D Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB doesn't need any configuration for Xcache, once you've installed it, it should just work.
If it doesn't show up in your phpinfo after installing you may need to load the module through your php.ini file. http://xcache.lighttpd.net/wiki/XcacheIni covers that + extra settings.

i have hosted on shared does allow to install ?, or looking for VPS.
Shared host won't allow you to install it (Although they may already have it installed/in use).
On a shared host the most you can really do would be:
(2014-04-27, 06:32 AM)Cameron:D Wrote: [ -> ]Use tools like PageSpeed to find what kind of changes you can make on the front-end to speed things up.
Cloudflare may help a bit as they will cache things like images/CSS/JS on servers nearer to your users, but it won't reduce the actual PHP execution times.
Just wanted to chime in here as I have been on a constant mission to improve my system performance.

First of all server specs, if you can throw more RAM at your system do it, it will help significantly in overage issues where you bleed out into swap.

So my server specs
- 3GB RAM
- 90 GB disc space
- 8 CPU's

Server is not fantastic and not terrible. That is about a mid range server and works well.

Even with this setup I was still having response time issues, and no matter how you slice it, this normally comes down to database. The amount of resource consumption I was getting from MYSQL was ridiculous and I was in a constant battle fighting it.

I made the decision to switch to MariaDB (I chose 5.5, though I am looking for feedback and benchmarking of 10 and considering a move there)

After all the tuning options out there this change had the single biggest impact.

So my setup now
apachebooster (Nginx & varnish) this made a fairly rapid speed increase on my system with slightly higher RAM consumption due to varnish)

The apachebooster change had the effect of reducing my CPU usage to a within normal to low bounds consumption.

After this I waited a month to see if things were better, they were but marginally. So I put in MariaDB, the load time increase was instant. Page generation is now between .2xxxx and .08xxx

Whereas before MariaDB I was seeing .6 to .8 generation times, hang ups were in mysql and mysql load times have now changed to only around 6 - 8% of total generation time.

anecdotally it is all faster, but visually it has been so much faster that people have emailed me from the site asking if I upgraded the servers due to the speed pages were loading.

If you aren't sure what MariaDB is, it is essentially a drop in replacement for mysql server and functions as if it were mysql so there are no configuration changes needed to your database though backup just in case.

It is a much higher performing DB server and trims a lot of the fat that mysql has.

Worth looking into, or asking your host if they can implement it
My server runs MariaDB too. It's my first choice for all servers (unless you're using InnoDB, in which case it's worth looking at percona). I don't bother with Apache though, if I were you I'd look at running Nginx to see what difference it makes. I don't have any high traffic sites, but this is the kind of stats I'm getting on one of my MyBB sites:

[Image: QMRVQib.png]
@[Euan T] those are blinding speeds. How do you keep memory usage down so low?

Is this also a vanilla install?
@Dannymh that's actually the debug page from MyBB Stuff so it's not vanilla, but it's also not a big forum. That screenshot is from the index page. Show thread is slightly different.

I'm running on a VPS and using about 250mb of RAM with a peak so far of about 350. Running Ngix, PHP FPM and MariaDB. I also have php 5.5's Zend OpCache enabled.
Pages: 1 2 3