MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New to MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I can not find a list of requirements for MyBB. I'm sure I'm just missing them somewhere. Can someone help? I have a MySQL server but not PHP. Do I need both? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Thanks!
btw, you do need both PHP and MySQL to use MyBB
DrPoodle Wrote:btw, you do need both PHP and MySQL to use MyBB

Yeah, that's what I just read. I've never messed with PHP, do you think the install is detailed enough for MyBB for me to handle without any prior PHP experience once I download it?
Let's just clear a few things up first.

1) Does your host have PHP installed?
2) Do you know your MySQL details?
DrPoodle Wrote:Let's just clear a few things up first.

1) Does your host have PHP installed?
2) Do you know your MySQL details?

Okay, I guess, you're talking about me as the host. I host the domain servers. We are an ISP. We don't have PHP installed yet. I'm actually at php.net reading about it right now. I've never had to use it with anything before.

I do have a MySQL server here in house. I'm pretty sure I know the details of the MySQL and if I don't, I have them documented some how.
Well the first thing to do is install PHP which I've heard is pretty easy (and it would have to be with the amount of people using it). After you have installed PHP you won't need to mess around with any of the PHP code in MyBB unless you want to mod it.

All you have to do is follow the install instructions (which are aimed at complete beginners) and enter your MySQL info to install the database.
DrPoodle Wrote:Well the first thing to do is install PHP which I've heard is pretty easy (and it would have to be with the amount of people using it). After you have installed PHP you won't need to mess around with any of the PHP code in MyBB unless you want to mod it.

All you have to do is follow the install instructions (which are aimed at complete beginners) and enter your MySQL info to install the database.

I know I must sound like a complete idiot, but I've learned the hard way that it is easier to ask when you have someone as nice as yourself than it is to do it wrong and have to fix it...

At php.net, there is a choice for complete source code and Window Binaries. A little help on which I need please?

Thanks so much for your assistance.
I'm assuming you have a Windows Server since most Linux servers come with PHP already installed. The PHP installer for Windows should be the one to download, although I am only 75% certain seeing as I haven't ever installed PHP on a server, only my desktop.
Pages: 1 2