MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to change default thread subscription mode?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

When a new user registers, the default subscription mode is currently set to 'Do not subscribe'.

How can I make it "instant email subscription" as the default option?

Kindly let me know.

Thanks in advance. Smile
In order to change default subscription when replying to a thread, do the following:

In ACP Templates, go to Post Templates---->post_subscription_method

In the label line, add checked="checked" after the value method.

Example:
<label><input type="radio" name="postoptions[subscriptionmethod]" {$postoptions_subscriptionmethod_email} value="email" checked="checked" style="vertical-align: middle;" /> {$lang->instant_email_subscribe}</label><br />
I done it by going to Template member_register where you see.

<option value="2" {$instant_email_subscribe_selected}> {$lang->instant_email_subscribe}</option>

Change it to this:
<option value="2" selected="selected"{$instant_email_subscribe_selected}> {$lang->instant_email_subscribe}</option>

The selected="selected" part will make Instant Email Notification the top choice and when you register it will be chosen unless someone changes it.

I think that is what you wanted.
(2014-11-23, 05:14 PM)user25 Wrote: [ -> ]In ACP Templates, go to Post Templates---->post_subscription_method

In the label line, add checked="checked" after the value method.

Example:
<label><input type="radio" name="postoptions[subscriptionmethod]" {$postoptions_subscriptionmethod_email} value="email" checked="checked" style="vertical-align: middle;" /> {$lang->instant_email_subscribe}</label><br />

This works *by chance*. If you look at the DOM of the page, you'll see there are two radio buttons with checked="checked" - one is yours, and the other one is the user's default (do not subscribe). Your happens to be second, so it shows as the only one checked.

But this is a hack, and not the correct way to set a default for this setting (if there is such a way - I find this to be a very annoying omission from MyBB).

(2014-11-24, 03:34 PM)sarisisop Wrote: [ -> ]I done it by going to Template member_register where you see.

<option value="2" {$instant_email_subscribe_selected}> {$lang->instant_email_subscribe}</option>

Change it to this:

<option value="2" selected="selected"{$instant_email_subscribe_selected}> {$lang->instant_email_subscribe}</option>

The selected="selected" part will make Instant Email Notification the top choice and when you register it will be chosen unless someone changes it.

I think that is what you wanted.

This is better, but some themes remove setting this option from the registration step (for good reason - you don't want to overwhelm the user with too many options).

What this means is that with those themes, this part of the member_register template won't be rendered, so that setting won't be submitted.

Again, the problem is that MyBB doesn't have a clear way of setting the default options for new users.
Yes it is a hack; but you can also rearrange the settings, set the value to what you want to be chosen and set that fieldset to hidden /display none.
I followed sarisisop's suggestion. It worked! Smile
Thank you guys!