MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Drafts AutoSave – Save posts and threads as drafts automatically
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Drafts AutoSave – Save posts and threads as drafts automatically

Drafts AutoSave saves new threads and replies as drafts automatically once in a while, so you don't have to worry about losing your writings anymore. Whether if your browser freezes or the AC powers off, you will always have an emergency backup of what you have written down ready to be restored.

PRICE
Free from 16 Feb 2021
I think this sounds like a good idea. I could see many users appreciating the fact that the system saves their posts. I mean I know members on my site would appreciate it. Sometimes browsers crash unexpectedly and it's nice to know that the system has you covered. (I mean it sucks to have spent like half an hour or better writing up a post only for the browser to crash and lose it all.)

I like the fact that users could see any saved drafts in their ACP. I've tried vanilla's saved post system and I kinda dislike it because, as far as I can tell, there's no way for a user to tell which topics they may have started replies/drafts in without actually visiting the topic. (And if you don't remember the topic name...)
Caching is a sensitive thing, lacking a better word. Most people don't use the best methods, not even me. If your plugin is going to cache as much information as users in your forum maybe there is a better way to go.

You cache the minimum to avoid the maximum queries

Sorry if I didn't explain myself up. Seeing forward to this.
That sound so good i want to test this xD.

Thanks shade to bring this new improvements to MyBB because many times all users lose contents on his posts and damn it back to write another one without some words and a lot of work, you can save some people like me who loves to write so much on his forums, xD.

I can say if you are writing some post you can create a new var for user to set to 1 for post without send xD, and receive an alert when you enter on your site if you have some messages saved Big Grin.

Finally when you send and delete cache can set this to 0 and nothing to do, something like standard p.m. or maybe can bring MyAlerts suport one when you get first cache save and the same purpose, that was an idea to tell your users they have a post without sending, if you have two or more, i don't think but can to make some request by id of your thread or something like that.

Thanks.
(2014-05-14, 03:42 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Caching is a sensitive thing, lacking a better word. Most people don't use the best methods, not even me. If your plugin is going to cache as much information as users in your forum maybe there is a better way to go.

You cache the minimum to avoid the maximum queries

Sorry if I didn't explain myself up. Seeing forward to this.

That's my biggest concern indeed. I'd like to hear some ideas from you to get them developed within the final product, because right now I can't think of anything better.

(2014-05-14, 04:09 AM)Dark Neo Wrote: [ -> ]I can say if you are writing some post you can create a new var for user to set to 1 for post without send xD, and receive an alert when you enter on your site if you have some messages saved Big Grin.

Finally when you send and delete cache can set this to 0 and nothing to do, something like standard p.m. or maybe can bring MyAlerts suport one when you get first cache save and the same purpose, that was an idea to tell your users they have a post without sending, if you have two or more, i don't think but can to make some request by id of your thread or something like that.

Thanks.

Can you give me some practical examples of this? I didn't understand pretty much.

I though also about using jStorage and exploit browser local caching but this sounds like what Vanilla Forum's solution, which as said by @VirusZero is not the best option for sure.
save draft where? in database?
I prefer the solution of ckeditor... not use any resource of server...
No, it doesn't use the database. It uses PluginLibrary's filecache.
(2014-05-14, 01:34 PM)Shade Wrote: [ -> ]No, it doesn't use the database. It uses PluginLibrary's filecache.

??
filecache of server?
but it also does not require server resources for writing and reading of data?
Yes, it does. Nothing particularly tough for the server - but that's the point. I need to ensure the best perfomances while keeping a low backend impact. Both of the two ways to achieve this - client-side and server-side - have their advantages and disadvantages and a combination of the two might be the final solution. I still need to think it though.
One thing to be aware of when using PluginLibrary's cache. It's not a filecache. It only uses file cache by default to avoid MyBB's default DB cache. If you have configured any other caching method, like memcache, it uses that instead. I'm sorry if that isn't clear from the documentation.

In the end, it's a cache function, not a save function. It's intended for data that, if missing, can be rebuilt easily, like a HTML representation of DB data that you do not want to re-query with every request (but can re-query when it's gone). The documentation does state that the cache is allowed to vanish at any time. It's different from MyBB's cache which is always backed by DB (and autoloaded with every request if you actually use the default DB cache).

Edit: I should reword that. It's identical to MyBB's cache (even shares the same namespace), except for not using the DB and thus not being a persistent cache.

As such for your drafts, if you want them saved, my recommendation is that you use DB (your own table if you like) as saving things is its purpose.
Pages: 1 2 3