MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Help! How can I set Admin aproval for membership?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm having lots of users (spammers) adding themselves to my forum without Admin allowing their membership.

I thought I had that setup, but can't find the setting.
I want members to be added by the Admin approval only.
Can someone tell me where that setting is?

Thanks,
Dansmark
Really easy.

Follow this:-

AdminCP -> Configuration -> Board settings -> User Registration and Profile Options.

Then change the registration method to anything you want.

Example:-

[Image: a0kowh.jpg]
Thanks, I've found it.

Are there setting for the examples below?
1) Is there a setting that controls a user's posts? (like 1-3 posts with Admin approval before cleared for unlimited posting)

2) Or validate a user's email before allowing registration? (all the emails that were registered has invalid email addresses)

3) Another way to keep the "pests" away!

I'd like to form an org. to track down internet "pests" and wrong-do'rs.
That would be a much need vigilante service...

Thanks for the help!
Answer to question 1:

-No i am not aware of my mod/plugin that enables you to moderate someone posts till he reaches a specific number of posts. Although you can moderate someone's posts for a specific time. (Hours, days, weeks, months, permanently).

Go to: Admin CP -> Users & Groups -> Users -> Click edit user (the member you want to edit) -> Moderator Options.
Click option: Moderate posts and select the time limit.

Answer to question 2:

-It's a default setting that everyone needs to activate their account through email before posting threads or replies. If you want to change/edit these settings then go to:

Admin CP -> Users & Groups -> Groups -> Awaiting Activation -> Forums and Posts.

Then edit the posting options. Simple.

Posting/Rating Options?
 Can post new threads?
 Can post replies to threads?
 Can rate threads?

I don't understand your third question clearly. Please elaborate.
Many forum admins create a newbie-type user group where posts and new threads have to be approved, then have a rule set up to promote them to a full member once they have x approved posts.
I set a Newbie group and created permissions (like guest).
How can I specify to the "email verification" system that they should be "Newbie" after registration & not "Registered" users?

What I'd like to do:
New registrations go to "Newbie" group and all posts have to be "moderated for clearance" to show post in forum.

After a few post have been reviewed they can be changed to the "Registered" user group.

Thanks!
Dansmark
(2014-05-14, 05:45 PM)Dansmark Wrote: [ -> ]I set a Newbie group and created permissions (like guest).
How can I specify to the "email verification" system that they should be "Newbie" after registration & not "Registered" users?

What I'd like to do:
New registrations go to "Newbie" group and all posts have to be "moderated for clearance" to show post in forum.

After a few post have been reviewed they can be changed to the "Registered" user group.

Thanks!
Dansmark
Open ./member.php and search for:
$usergroup = 2;
Replace with:
$usergroup = gid;
***Where gid is the number that was given to the usergroup "Newbie." You can find this in your Group Management page (Admin CP -> Users & Groups -> Groups) and hover over the Newbie link. It should display the gid, which is the number you want. You can also click the link and it will be displayed in your address bar.***

Save the file and upload to your server.
I found it and changed it from 2 to 8 (but changed back to 2 until I hear more)...

But how about:
$db->update_query("users", array("usergroup" => 2), "uid='".$user['uid']."'");

Maybe the "gid" should be changed in the usergroup instead so "2" would work correctly (just thinking).

Is there a file that controls the gid numbers of the user groups?
Changing Registered to 8, and Newbie to 2 might be a better choise?

Just trying to understand...

Thanks,
Dansmark
I renamed my Registered group to Newbies (in order to keep the same GID) and added a new group for regular users.
(2014-05-15, 11:05 AM)Dansmark Wrote: [ -> ]I found it and changed it from 2 to 8 (but changed back to 2 until I hear more)...

But how about:
$db->update_query("users", array("usergroup" => 2), "uid='".$user['uid']."'");

Maybe the "gid" should be changed in the usergroup instead so "2" would work correctly (just thinking).

Is there a file that controls the gid numbers of the user groups?
Changing Registered to 8, and Newbie to 2 might be a better choise?

Just trying to understand...

Thanks,
Dansmark
You could do that too. The increments is done by the database (auto increment). Either way would require a bit of work. If you do the database route and change the group ids (gid) then you will want to use a spreadsheet application to ensure data is preserved, delete the rows, then change the gids in the spreadsheet, then readd them. If you try to change it directly in the database, it may throw out an error at you about the field being unique and cannot contain the same value as another row.

I changed "Administrators" group to "Network Administrators" and then created a new "Administrators" group, then changed the gid. It took me a few core edits to fix the problem with the Administrators group being treated like the "Awaiting Activation" users group by the core and not unlocking some of the other options. The point is, you might have to change core files if you change the gid and not getting the desired results and configurable options. You might also have to redo the group permissions as well. It can sometimes just be better to change a number in the core file than to change a table's information, depending on what you hope it will do when you're done customizing it.