MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Insert .MKV video in post
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Mybb has some integrated video support for youtube, Vimeo, and a few others, but how can I post a video that is simply hosted on a generic file server?

I have several .mkv video files hosted on the same server as the forum, and I want to be able to insert them in the post so they appear as a click-to-start video, rather than just a hyperlink
upload them to youtube i suppose
You'll need a video player that supports MKV files. FireDrive (formerly PutLocker) supports MKV files, so you could use them as your video host and video player (oh, and you don't even have to download anything to use it). It would then be a matter of making a Custom MyCode for the embedded HTML code. (Admin CP -> Configuration (tab) -> MyCode -> Add New MyCode)
For Title, you can use whatever you like. For the example, I'll be using FireDrive.
For Description, you can describe what it does.
For Regular Expression:
\[firedrive\](.*?)\[/firedrive\]
For Replacement:
<iframe width='560' height='315' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen src='https://www.firedrive.com/embed/$1'></iframe>

The use would be:
Where (.*?) is, you put the file's unique key (given to you by FireDrive after the file is uploaded)
[firedrive]UniqueFileKeyHere[/firedrive]
$1 is where the unique file key would go when the board interprets the MyCode.

EDIT: And in case you still want to use your own server, you will need to find a flash video player that you can use that will support MKV files. Something I'm not experienced with, so someone with more experience will have to help you with setting up your own hosted video player.
I don't think any of the flash players will do MKV. From looking around, most solutions to playing MKV require embedding either VLC or DivX player on the page.
That said, why is MKV necessary? MKV is generally just a wrapper around another stream (Such as h264/mp4), can the original mp4 file (Which will play natively on many browsers) not be used?
(2014-05-16, 03:50 AM)Cameron:D Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think any of the flash players will do MKV. From looking around, most solutions to playing MKV require embedding either VLC or DivX player on the page.
That said, why is MKV necessary? MKV is generally just a wrapper around another stream (Such as h264/mp4), can the original mp4 file (Which will play natively on many browsers) not be used?
JWPlayer supports MKV files that is encoded in h.264. (see "play .mkv files" (<- click link), second post from the top)
Oh, so it does. Not sure why I didn't run into that earlier.