MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Database Configuration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, I have read the install manual and wiki. I have all of my correct data for the database, but I keep getting errors.

I don't understand what is the difference between Database Host and Database Name. Is Database Name the same as the Mysql Host Name? or do I need to pre-make a data base name in mysql?

I have done installations of forums before, but this is just confusing me.
Maybe it would help if you posted the errors?
31337 Wrote:Is Database Name the same as the Mysql Host Name? or do I need to pre-make a data base name in mysql?
No, the Database Name is most likely not the same as the MySQL Host Name. I would recommend you contact your host in order to obtain the correct information.
I have and know all correct information, I don't understand what exactly I need to enter where or if I need to manualy add a table in SQL for my_bb to use.

My errors:

* Could not connect to the database server at 'example.com' with the supplied username and password. Are you sure the hostname and user details are correct?
* Could not select the database 'example'. Are you sure it exists and the specified username and password have access to it?

Note: I know and have checked the pass and user name multiple times. It should work.
If MyBB cannot connect to it then you're doing something wrong. Recheck and recheck your details. You need the MySQL host (usually localhost) The MySQL Database name and the MySQL Username and password and your choice of table prefix.
Quote:Database Host
This is the server where the database is. Unless told otherwise by your host, this should be localhost.
That is odd, is the database host conceded a Server/Host username or SQL host username?
Lets make this real simple for you

- "Database" - Where information is stored in a "data" "base".
- "Host" - Where information is "hosted".

As the description states the server is where the database is. And unless your host tells you otherwise it is localhost

Simple enough?
But you use "Database" for every field.

Example:
Server/Host: example.com
Username: name
Password: password

MySQL:
Mysql Hostname: localhost
MySQL Username: name
MySQL Password: password

=============
Where do I add each part?
Database Host:
Database Username:
Database Password: password
Database Name:

Maybe, this will make it easier for both of us to understand.
Database is a general term. Something wrong with that?
You should not use general terms, for specific directions to install something.
What is the difference between Database Host and Name???
Like I said before:
Example:
Server/Host: example.com
Username: name
Password: password

MySQL:
Mysql Hostname: localhost
MySQL Username: name
MySQL Password: password

=============
Where do I add each part?
Database Host: