MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Option to hide signature and www button to guest
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In my forum i made core edit to hide signature and www button to guest and spiders...

Are places where users usually put advertisements for your business or blog links etc..
I know has option nofollow in signature per group. But guess much more effective not fully display.

Not to mention that I felt that loading pages is much faster without signature ...
Guests are not interested in seeing the signature of users, but the content of the posts.

There is the option to not display the signature, but limited to per user and not for per group.

If it can add this option I'll be very grateful.

Regards.
I agree with the hide signature part, due to some members displaying .gifs

An addon to this would be the option to hide animated avatars, which could increase page load. I know a board that has that option present at the moment.
I made pull request to two feature:

hide signature: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/pull/645
hide website button: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/pull/644
(2014-05-17, 02:23 PM)martec Wrote: [ -> ]In my forum i made core edit to hide signature and www button to guest and spiders...

Are places where users usually put advertisements for your business or blog links etc..
I know has option nofollow in signature per group. But guess much more effective not fully display.

Not to mention that I felt that loading pages is much faster without signature ...
Guests are not interested in seeing the signature of users, but the content of the posts.

There is the option to not display the signature, but limited to per user and not for per group.

If it can add this option I'll be very grateful.

Regards.

I'm not sure about doing it for guests because... a guest is a potential user of your forum, and letting them see what the forum really looks like (with all signatures and etc) could make them change their minds about signing up. But then again, if the load these accesses generates becomes a burden for your forum and, because of that, regular users get affected in a bad way, then it's completely plausible. I can imagine having something to dinamically set the visibility of signatures and etc on/off for guests based on the current load of the server. A nice and easy way of managing consistent user experience for everyone.

For crawlers and stuff though, this feature is definitely good.
(2014-05-20, 12:11 PM)Wage Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with the hide signature part, due to some members displaying .gifs

An addon to this would be the option to hide animated avatars, which could increase page load. I know a board that has that option present at the moment.

hum...
but the main idea was not quite it.
size of image in kb or mb in signature is possible limited using something this http://community.mybb.com/thread-149311.html and size of avatar is possible limited if you use only imgur option and remove other optionw to upload avatar http://community.mybb.com/thread-154294.html.

personally the main question is hide www button and signature to spiders and guests is should help considerably in SEO. Because removes links that are not directly related to the thread. And help to load page more faster to spiders and vistiors because has less information to load, this too help to increase SEO. Nofollow help but not as completely hide. And also helps to discourage spam in siganture, because is evident that the content of the signature is not displayed to visitors and spiders.

In Xenforo in default not show signature of users to visitors and spiders. But in mybb not has option to this.

Not to mention that the page stays cleaner for the visitor who is looking for information only and not spam in signature of members of forum. With less information to load, the page loads more faster for visitors and spiders.
agree with this. +1
I also think that signing and website of users not interest to visitors.
If it helps in SEO, even better.