MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Fastest localhost server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There are many localhost servers (wamp, etc.). Can you suggest which one is the best in the terms of speed in your opinion and experience? I mean free localhost server for personal CMS tests on local computer. My system is x64 win7.
i use webserv and it is not so bad
I'm using http://www.uniformserver.com/ Uniform Server for almost a year now and i didn't experienced any problems with. One thing that i like in UniServer is -"Start as program" that enables you to start UniServer from removable device (portable HDD or usb flash drive).
Most of them run the same services in the backend (Apache, PHP 5.x and MySQL 5.x) so there is not likely going to be much speed differences between what front-end/wrapper you choose.

Personally I've always rolled with either XAMPP or WAMP although I've been wanting to try and make an automatic setup script for dev testing new MyBB versions with Vagrant (Probably building on PuPHPet).
I personally just manually installed Apache, MySQL, and PHP, then threw together a quick .bat file to start them up. Pretty simple to do, just install in that order, set the services to manual start, and use the batch file to get it running.
You could also install the linux of your choice on a virtual machine (you can use virtual box for the controller) and ssh into it.
Vagrant + PuPHPet all the way.

Vaprobash is also a nice learning tool.
(2014-05-19, 01:45 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]Vaprobash is also a nice learning tool.

Ooh, that looks kinda neat for quickly testing things. Will try to remember it.
It's not actually that hard to setup a localhost manually (installing Apache, mysql, and PHP separately), and to configure them individually for optimal performance. I've done that before, but nowadays I put most of my dev work on a VPS, so right now I'm just using WAMP for simplicity reasons.

Packages such as WAMP don't always have optimal configurations, and often it's just a matter of tweaking a few things to considerably improve the performance, however.
Pages: 1 2