MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Guest Usergroup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I want to change the Guest usergroup to a different GID, but I cannot seem to find where to edit it, which file is this in?
Why would you want to change the guest GID?
If you do that, many plugins won't work properly since they use default number. So... not a good idea to touch it (same question - why?).
You also do not want to change it because gid is the Primary Key of the usergroup table. The Auto Increment is also on that column so you can run into a collision which will make creating new groups fail.
The GID is handled by the database. You can export the usergroup table's data (ensure you get every piece of data from the table) and put it into an excel sheet (or similar spreadsheet file), then change the first column numbers. Delete the database table's data, then copy the data from the spreadsheet back into the database table to avoid any messages about unique keys.

But like everyone else said, changing the Group ID can break the normal forum operations. Certain settings that would normally be removed for the guest usergroup will be added to it in the Admin CP. Sometimes it resets all the settings for that usergroup. If you change the Guest usergroup id, you also need to look inside each core file and update "gid == old" to "gid == new", where old is the old GID number and new is the new GID number. It's more of a hassle than a benefit if you don't know what you're doing; I know from experience when adding a new administration group as a "local" administrative group on a MyBB forum and using the old administrative group as a "network" administrative group.