MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Install custom font?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2014-05-21, 02:22 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-20, 08:05 PM)Ace700 Wrote: [ -> ]Well hes allowed to use it unless hes using it commercially otherwise its free use when credit is due Toungue

Wrong. Where did you read that..? It obviously depends on license. He didn't specify which font he wants to use, thus you can't say whether he is doing it legally or not.

(2014-05-21, 01:46 PM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]That's the whole point of having a custom font. So that the visitor's browser WILL download it. Otherwise there's no point to installing it/specifying it.

You don't understand the point - older browsers may not support custom fonts at all (can't be forced no matter what you do), so laie_techie suggested to use an alternative in case they don't. And he's correct.

Here is a code which will work in most browsers: http://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/using-font-face/ To use it, you need to convert fonts to different formats. Use a tool like http://www.fontsquirrel.com/

Do you need the right to use music in a youtube video? Yes, but if you use it for: Fair Use then your set. I use the basic fonts. But you're allowed to use anything as long as it's used in fair use (Except) if the license states you're not allowed to use for any part in your site without purchasing the license.
Destroy666 knew exactly what I was talking about. There may be legal issues with the font, so read the license. Also, not all browsers handle web fonts or embedded fonts, or the visitor may have disabled this feature, so you should always specify multiple font faces (last resort would be a generic face like serif or sanserif).
1. He is not from the USA.
2. USA's law isn't global.
3. Yes, you actually need the right, at least outside USA. I saw many videos which were removed due to copyright infrigment. My mate had his account banned for creating football videos based on commercial TV station recordings because they reported him. And we're one of the few countries which adapted something like fair use, but it's only for private use: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use#Poland

So, again, you can't tell it's legal without knowing more facts - licence and user's location specifically.
(2014-05-21, 06:26 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]1. He is not from the USA.
2. USA's law isn't global.
3. Yes, you actually need the right, at least outside USA. I saw many videos which were removed due to copyright infrigment. My mate had his account banned for creating football videos based on commercial TV station recordings because they reported him. And we're one of the few countries which adapted something like fair use, but it's only for private use: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use#Poland

So, again, you can't tell it's legal without knowing more facts - licence and user's location specifically.

Yes but most content (videos and music) is in America based. Also you got me there.. I figured he was from Usa Toungue So thanks for clearing that up sorry.
Jurisdiction can be tricky on the internet:
1. Site owner's physical location
2. Server's physical location
3. Physical location of the registrar where the domain was registered
4. Where the company is registered (assuming a company site instead of a personal site)
5. (Sometimes) the visitor's physical location
6. Nationality of the site's owner

Granted, for number 5, the visitor (and not the site owner) would be in violation.

To complicate matters, Utah's anti-spam laws says that it pertains to any communication which passes through Utah - even if neither the sender nor recipient is in that state. This includes using wires which physically cross into Utah.
Thanks guys, could you tell me how to instal font and prevent users from downloading it??
(2014-05-22, 05:01 PM)marcus123 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks guys, could you tell me how to instal font and prevent users from downloading it??

The users must download it in order to use it. Using the methodology mentioned by Ace or Destroy666 will let users' browsers use the font.
Going spectacularly offtopic - perhaps a new thread is in order
Pages: 1 2