MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Shut down site and upgrade?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey I was jsut wondering How would I shut down my site and upgrade it, I've seen this page:
http://docs.mybb.com/Upgrading.html

But still am confused a little on how to shut down the site and allow only me to access it and upgrade it to the newest version (1.6.13) from the old one (1.6.12)

Thank you!

KRMZ. Jr. Heart
If you're using Apache, you can use a simple .htaccess file to make sure only you can access the forum.

Put a .htaccess file in the root directory of your forum (the directory with all of your forum files such as index.php, member.php, etc)

It's been a while since I've used Apache, but as I remember these are the proper directives to only allow you to access it:
deny from all
allow from 127.0.0.1
(replace 127.0.0.1 with your IP)

Then just follow directions in the upgrade document you linked to. Remember to take backups.
The easier way is to go to the Admin CP->Configuration->Board Online. Select Yes for Board Closed. I would then also disable all plugins. That setting can be found under the General Configuration near the bottom. Make a backup of your database and files ( optional ).

After doing that, upload the new files to your server. Go to /install/upgrade.php and select the version you are upgrading from. It will take care of the rest. Once that is finished, you can turn plugins back on and board closed to NO.
Still need help.
I have:
Database downloaded
Files from FTP saved
new MyBB downloaded.

What now?
(2014-05-22, 07:08 AM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]The easier way is to go to the Admin CP->Configuration->Board Online. Select Yes for Board Closed. I would then also disable all plugins. That setting can be found under the General Configuration near the bottom. Make a backup of your database and files ( optional ).

After doing that, upload the new files to your server. Go to /install/upgrade.php and select the version you are upgrading from. It will take care of the rest. Once that is finished, you can turn plugins back on and board closed to NO.

You should always disable access via the web server rather than at the application level, if you do that, if something goes wrong, visitors won't see a bunch of errors or any potential sensitive information.
I still need help with this. Thanks.
(2014-05-22, 09:26 PM)KRMZ. Jr. Wrote: [ -> ]What now?

I don't know what you're asking for. Help with upgrading? Everything is in the guide linked by you in the first post. I don't think there is anything to add to it.
Upload all the files from the mybb download. Once done go over to:

yoursite.com/install
run the install
Either Delete the Install folder or add a no extension file called lock when done so you can use the forum Wink