MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Disallowed username / email suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The way we specify disallowed usernames and emails needs to be improved by including at least some basic regular expression functionality:
1. Word Boundaries. For example, I want to disallow the word sex, but allow sexton
2. Start and end of string. For example, StopForumSpam shows a ton of spammers using short usernames (including just the single letter a). I want to disallow these, while allowing longer usernames.
3. Allow us to disallow the * character. StopForumSpam shows that spammers provide an email address of one or more asterisks at gmail.com. Our email checker reads an asterisk as zero or more characters, so I can't add this filter to disallowed list.
1) If I recall correctly, Woltlab Burning Board 1 and 2 both had ways to define what to filter.
Using {word} would filter "word" but not "words" and word* would filter anything that contained "word" and whatever the next character is. I'm surprised the first type wasn't already part of the filter system to avoid filtering a part of a word like you described (sex in sexton would be ***ton). I think it would be great to make the filter system a little more powerful in how it filters words.
Another thing I'd want to disable is a username only containing digits, or being comprised solely of the same character repeated multiple times.