MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Using numbers in domain names
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering what other peoples thoughts were about using numbers in a domain name. Normally i wouldn't but i've been thinking about making a forum about the ps4 and i'm a bit lost as to what domain name i should buy for it.
I use numbers in them. If it's proffesional try to spell the word out.
If it's for the Playstation 4, I would use a number if you're considering using the actual name or acronym. That is, if that's legally allowed — I'm not sure of their policies, but it's probably fine as long as you're not using "Sony." It really depends on the situation, but in this case a number would be perfectly fine. It might even look worse using a word if it was something like "ps4four.com"

Generally I'd go without numbers, but in some cases it might work. I would, personally, just brand the domain name without numbers or even the console's name in it. Maybe use a popular term that's thrown around that has to do with the console.
We use a number on Host4Post, not hurt our SEO to date.
Why would you even consider numbers bad? They are better than words in some cases actually - this is one of them. People don't type "Playstation four" in search engines.
(2014-05-26, 12:33 PM)Destroy666 Wrote: [ -> ]Why would you even consider numbers bad? They are better than words in some cases actually - this is one of them. People don't type "Playstation four" in search engines.

Thats a good point but you also don't see people typing in s0ny.tld
There's nothing wrong with using a number in the domain... (Other sites have done it. Like PS3trophies.) The only thing to watch out for is when the next iteration comes out and you want to start providing support/coverage for it.

So if you go with like like PS4forum but then the PS5 comes out... You'll have to make the decision to either keep using that one numbered domain, acquire PS5forum also (and redirect it to your site) or look into a non-numbered name like psforum. (But many times the non-numbered domains tend to be a lot harder to get. Domain hoarders, people already using them for their own projects and whatnot.)
But even if you have like PS4forum there's nothing to say you can't have anything about PS5 or even PS6. (Your site, you can do what you want. You could call it PS4forum and run all Xbox stuff if you really wanted.)

Otherwise if your content is good then you'll still likely get included in searches so it won't matter if you have PS4forum or PSforum.