MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: UserCP Notepad using LocalStorage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
For more privacy, is better using localstorage instead of MySQL Form Equivalents.

[Image: 24987eff90.png]
[Image: 1beb711d28.png]
[Image: f0b1ee887f.png]
I have mixed feelings about this one. The only way anyone other than you can see what is in the notepad is if template edits are done or actually looking into the database.

With it being a cookie instead it opens it up to if someone accidentally clears their cookies they just lost what information they had in their notepad. You also would not have access to this if you use a different computer to get online such as at a library.
The first thing that came to my mind is that LocalStorage is, well, local. IOW, if a user uses a different computer their notes won't be available.
(2014-05-29, 01:21 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]With it being a cookie instead it opens it up to if someone accidentally clears their cookies they just lost what information they had in their notepad. You also would not have access to this if you use a different computer to get online such as at a library.

Holy coders, you're right :O
Didn't knew cookies clears LocalStorage Too :O

(2014-05-29, 04:24 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]The first thing that came to my mind is that LocalStorage is, well, local. IOW, if a user uses a different computer their notes won't be available.

Well, thats why is called localstorage, and i don't know better system for privacy on notepad
If you want to store something on your local computer there are better ways than MyBB's notepad... Wink
The notepad functionality is arguable pointless tbh.
(2014-05-31, 08:36 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]The notepad functionality is arguable pointless tbh.

maybe to you, but I find myself using it a bit.
Still, it's not a place to store your passwords or anything important => no reason to modify it to localStorage.
I agree with Destroy666. MyBB Notepad should be used to store forum-related notes, not passwords. If MyBB Notepad moves to LocalStore, we admins would get a tons of support requests on why a user's notes disappear when they are at a different computer (or if the LocalStore gets cleared independent of MyBB!).
This is a place for notes relevant to the forum. You do not want to be storing anything personal, private or confidential here. For example I use it to keep track of annoying staff members feature ideas. Wink Toungue
Pages: 1 2