MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Facebook "Invite Friends" Button
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Plugin that gives members the option to invite Facebook friends
Awesome Idea. I was looking for a plugin like this today as well. Hard to believe nobody has coded one as it would really be a great way of inviting people to join your forums. Facebook is top dog right now and has been for quite sometime and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Everybody and their brother is on Facebook now. It is foolish for developers to ignore that fact just because they personally don't like Facebook for whatever their reason may be? And it's not just the myBB community either, I have seen the same negative responses over and over again on every forum software, or content management system support sites. Every time somebody requests that a Facebook plugin of some sort be created every Tom, Dink, and Harry comes out from under their rock and has some rude opinion about why they don't want Facebook or need Facebook on their open source community software. It really is getting old and not many good plugins have been made because of their negative and primitive way of thinking. Fact is that Facebook is ruling the internet right now and you better all wake up, realize that, get used to it, and start working on new ways to include/integrate it in to other social platforms/projects or your platform may eventually die a slow death like many others have since the big dogs took over. Enough of this foolishness!
OK, here's my opinion instead: the chances of people actually inviting their Facebook friends in any meaningful numbers to a forum is extremely low. And if someone wanted to invite a single friend they would probably just send them a link.

You're right that Facebook is ruling the internet, but this isn't a meaningful way of leveraging that power. You can't just assume that if you give people the ability to invite Facebook friends that they will actually do it.
(2016-09-14, 02:46 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]OK, here's my opinion instead: the chances of people actually inviting their Facebook friends in any meaningful numbers to a forum is extremely low. And if someone wanted to invite a single friend they would probably just send them a link.

You're right that Facebook is ruling the internet, but this isn't a meaningful way of leveraging that power. You can't just assume that if you give people the ability to invite Facebook friends that they will actually do it.

This. How many people have tons of FB friends that would actually care at all about some random niche forum you're a part of? This hasn't been developed because realistically it wouldn't be used...