MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 1.8 Smilie pngs poor quality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I notice that the new .png smilies are just the old .gifs with the type changed to .png. Those icons are not suitable to be "quickly changed" in this way because of the halo effect that looks horrid on a dark theme.

Attaching my .png conversion of the current smilie set including the PSD I used. No halos.
Didn't we add yours internally? (perhaps not)
I think maybe not. The ones in the DL package of 1.8 had that halo.
No one submitted the images I think.
Hi,

Thank you for your report. We have pushed this issue to our Github repository for further analysis where you can track our commits and progress with fixing this bug. Discussions regarding this bug may also take place there too.

Follow this link to visit the issue on Github: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/718

Thanks for contributing to MyBB!

Regards,
The MyBB Group
Leefish please take a look at my reply in [Issue #718].
I did - have you looked at the two sets on a black background?
It's not easy to fix those smilies. Was there a source to those GIF images that had true alpha transparency?

heart.png example using color-to-alpha (white) on the outer blur cruft. close but no cigar.

Even without the blur issue, Huh needs a different smiley for dark backgrounds, otherwise the ??? just vanishes. Same goes for angel, the halo is a pixel chaos that just won't look good on black. I'm all for giving them true transparency just don't expect that to make them work for black themes.
I'll contact Chris, I think he made them.
I did - but it's been so long I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for the PSD.

I'm almost at the point of suggesting MyBB just use emoji, and probably Apple's set.
Pages: 1 2