MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Next Oldest | Next Newest SEO advice is needed????
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am heaving issues with:

Thread-?action=nextnewest
Thread-?action=nextoldest

Google returns 404 error! What do you recommend I should do remove it from the template or there is an easy fix?????
Try this:

Find in .htaccess
# Google SEO URL Threads:
	RewriteRule ^Thread-([^./]+)$ showthread.php?google_seo_thread=$1 [L,QSA,NC]

Add before

RewriteRule ^Thread-([^./]+)\?action=([a-z]+)$ showthread.php?google_seo_thread=$1&action=$2 [L,QSA,NC]

I can't guarantee if it will work, but you do need to edit .htaccess for sure.
Could you please tell me what it suppose to do because I see no difference!

Ohh sorry almost forgot the most important part. Thanks very much.
Just edited my post. Might work now, not positive. By having this before the other code, it will check if an action parameter is present in the url. If it doesn't work, I'd recommend just removing it from the template. I have never used nextnewest or nextoldest in all my years of using MYBB.
It's not about .htaccess, you need to disable nextoldest and nextnewest actions in robots.txt. Why? Because this functionality can lead to hidden threads, which are unviewable by Google bot. Also Google doesn't need to check and index these links at all (no purpose).

Use the robots.txt provided in Google SEO package or from this post: http://community.mybb.com/thread-150560-...pid1059780 These two lines in it should handle it:
Disallow: /forum/*action=nextnewest*
Disallow: /forum/*action=nextoldest*
@Destroy666 and @dragonexpert are awesome supporters I love you guys (like friends don't get me wrong lol Smile )

Thanks very much