MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Responsive Theme
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello! I want to know some tips for making a responsive MyBB theme? What's the main key? What the best way to test codes to see if it's responsive? I want to be able to make my theme look good on all devices and browsers. Thanks!
Remove most of the multiple TDs and replace them with divs inside a TD. As you are therefore going to have to redo half the templates it makes sense if the divs inside the TDs are based on a framework. You can make your own simple framework using classes and breakpoints.

The reason I suggest keeping the tables is because some of the key javascript is targeting a table tag.
Exactly what I am going to do with my Bootstrap, theme but I will also offer a tableless version along with it. Its gonna be a lot of effort to get things working I suppose.
(2014-06-04, 10:56 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]The reason I suggest keeping the tables is because some of the key javascript is targeting a table tag.

Along with that there are some hardcoded areas where tables are mandatory (forumdisplay, search results, memberlist - no members, select avatar [gallery] for start) if you don't want to modify core files (patches plugin can be used for that).
Hopefully most of the table reliance will be taken out soon (I'm personally trying to do it just waiting on a go ahead).

But for now, like Leefish mentioned, you can put a div inside a td and hide it when the browser is at a certain width. Most of the time though hiding information isn't the best route, unless it's the useless stuff (View count in threadlist).

I personally like to replace some links/info with icons at smaller widths, so the information isn't completely lost just substituted.