MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Suggestions: Enhanced User Title, Forum Team Page Changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Enhanced User Titles

I'd like to see User Titles get enhanced by adding which user groups can use the user titles.
Example 1:
Usergroup "Administrators" can have the default title "Administrator Trainee" and like registered users, as they post more, their title can be "Administrator" then "Veteran Administrator" while Registered Users, Super Moderators, and Moderators will not be able to use the title.

Example 2:
Multiple groups, such as Super Moderators, Moderators, Administrators can have a default title "Newbie" and as they post, receive exclusive staff user titles that registered users won't have access to.

I would also like to see two different user titles. The default user title specified in the usergroup settings and the user titles that can change. So what it could look like is:
Vashnik
(Registered User)
(Junior Member)

And "Junior Member" would be where the custom user titles go for users who choose to create their own custom user title via User CP (if permissions allow them to use custom user titles on the forum)

Change How the "Forum Team" Page Works

My second suggestion for MyBB 2.0 is to see a change in the way the Forum Team page lists staff members. Staff should be in their primary group, not by the display group they choose, so that they can choose the type of usergroup markup they want (if they are in multiple groups), without being removed from the team page or demoted in the list.
Enhanced User Titles: My vote is a no on that. An Administrator is still an Administrator. If someone is using a usertitle to imply they are something they are not, then take action. You could also just make it so one or more usergroups can't use a custom title.

Forum Team Page: My vote is also a no on this because Display Group is how they should be displayed. It can be how the Admin wants them to be displayed.
(2014-06-05, 10:23 AM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]Enhanced User Titles: My vote is a no on that. An Administrator is still an Administrator. If someone is using a usertitle to imply they are something they are not, then take action. You could also just make it so one or more usergroups can't use a custom title.
It's not about users calling themselves administrators in the user title, it's about giving the staff the ability to have their own set of user titles exclusive to them without having to set their own (custom) or using the Default. When a default title is set for a group, they can't use the user titles available in Admin CP -> Users & Groups -> User Titles and that is the change I wish to see. Out of all the permissions they get as staff, the staff can't participate in the user titles for posting. The least MyBB could do is allow staff to have their own set of user titles they can earn. They don't even have to be setup from the initial install, just allow board administrators to setup user titles that the staff can use, even if that means removing the "Default User Title" from the group settings in place of enhancing user titles.

(2014-06-05, 10:23 AM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]Forum Team Page: My vote is also a no on this because Display Group is how they should be displayed. It can be how the Admin wants them to be displayed.

So if all staff members decide to use a markup from a group that isn't staff, then they shouldn't be listed at all on the team page? How does that even make any sense? Staff should always show up on a team page regardless of the markup they wish to use. How are registered users supposed to know if a staff member is who they say they are if they aren't listed on the team page regardless of the group markup they choose to use?
For security reasons a person may not wish to be on showteam.php. Having a secret admin account where that is not the display group and is never used is a better practice. Some people actually disable showteam.php altogether so it makes it harder for a potential hacker to guess who staff members are.
(2014-06-06, 02:32 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]For security reasons a person may not wish to be on showteam.php. Having a secret admin account where that is not the display group and is never used is a better practice. Some people actually disable showteam.php altogether so it makes it harder for a potential hacker to guess who staff members are.

Then let the board owners decide if they want to change the settings through the Admin CP.
I have been thinking about this and I do think that Vashnik is perhaps making a valid point regarding updating and improving showteam.php.

It has little to no hooks; there are no avatars; the user titles dont reflect customtitle; the usergroup 6 is hardcoded to detect board moderators...and so on.

Rather than suggesting improvements on an already slightly shaky base, perhaps it would be a better idea to suggest what the showteam is for, what it is used for and how we would like it to be - or even if we want to keep it at all.
(2014-06-06, 06:30 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]It has little to no hooks; there are no avatars; the user titles dont reflect customtitle; the usergroup 6 is hardcoded to detect board moderators...and so on.

I couldn't word it any better, Leefish.

(2014-06-06, 06:30 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]Rather than suggesting improvements on an already slightly shaky base, perhaps it would be a better idea to suggest what the showteam is for, what it is used for and how we would like it to be - or even if we want to keep it at all.

Since MyBB 2.0 is supposed to be a complete rewrite of the board and the current 1.6 and 1.8 showteam.php works as a generic group listing when a usergroup is marked to show up on the Forum Team, I would like to see the showteam.php page made into a staff directory not based on display groups. The Moderator listings on the home page (index.php) and forumdisplay.php of the forum can already be disabled in the Admin CP (Admin CP -> Configuration -> Settings -> Forum Home Options) for 1.6 and 1.8, so why not do the same for the new showteam.php page in MyBB 2.0 so board owners have the option to show or hide the forum staff list themselves.

Instead of hiding staff who are not using staff group markups for their display group, the showteam.php page should list the staff by their primary group (_users table, usergroup column) since the list would then be either hidden or shown through the board settings in the Admin CP. You still have your "security" for those who want to disable it altogether, while still having a fully available page to list staff for those who do wish to use it on their board.

I personally use it as a staff directory type page and never include non-staff groups. It was my understanding, by the default settings for every board that I've used where they use a page to list teams, that the team page was meant to be used as a staff directory.
There is already a per-group setting to show groups in the team page. Am I missing something?

I agree with modifying the following:
if($usergroups[6]['gid'])
{
	$query = $db->query("
		SELECT m.*, f.name
		FROM ".TABLE_PREFIX."moderators m
		LEFT JOIN ".TABLE_PREFIX."users u ON (u.uid=m.id)
		LEFT JOIN ".TABLE_PREFIX."forums f ON (f.fid=m.fid)
		WHERE f.active = 1 AND m.isgroup = 0
		ORDER BY u.username
	");
	while($moderator = $db->fetch_array($query))
	{
		$moderators[$moderator['id']][] = $moderator;
	} 
}

But this seems right to me?:
$query = $db->simple_select("users", "uid, username, displaygroup, usergroup, ignorelist, hideemail, receivepms", "displaygroup IN ($groups_in) OR (displaygroup='0' AND usergroup IN ($groups_in)) OR uid IN ($users_in)", array('order_by' => 'username'));

Perhaps we should check additional groups there too.
It does display groups, but its easy to make it look a horrid nasty mess. Its really hard to explain, but its unintuitive and rather ugly.

The idea of showing additional groups needs to be an either/or or it will be even more of a shambles than it is already.
(2014-06-06, 06:30 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]Rather than suggesting improvements on an already slightly shaky base, perhaps it would be a better idea to suggest what the showteam is for, what it is used for and how we would like it to be - or even if we want to keep it at all.

May you elaborate?

(2014-06-07, 11:02 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]But this seems right to me?:
$query = $db->simple_select("users", "uid, username, displaygroup, usergroup, ignorelist, hideemail, receivepms", "displaygroup IN ($groups_in) OR (displaygroup='0' AND usergroup IN ($groups_in)) OR uid IN ($users_in)", array('order_by' => 'username'));

Perhaps we should check additional groups there too.

Never-mind this, just got the logic behind this, it may be fine just as it is.