MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Disable Portal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think, it's good if we add a setting for enable/disable portal.
I agree with this. I also looked at the plugin which currently does this and it has over 3000 downloads.
its not linked anywhere, so just delete portal.php. no plugin needed
(2014-06-05, 08:07 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]its not linked anywhere, so just delete portal.php. no plugin needed

This. It surprises me by the amount of people that actually ask how to disable it, or that would add a plugin to do that.

If you're really worried about it being accessed you should delete it and then simply add a rule with your web server to either redirect it to the forum index or to deny access, in the case of Apache which is most cases, you'd just need a simply line in .htaccess.
The pull request I sent a while back was rejected for the reasoning that it's not linked to and simply deleting the file works. I did feel that it should be more consistent with the calendar and member list however it's just adding options for the sake of options...
@Jordan: I would go exactly the other way Toungue remove the options for calendar and memberlist. IIRC the only links to them are the top links so it's easy to remove them. But I can see that this isn't happening.
I don't think it's necessary to add another (nearly) useless option.
@King Louis:

But if you want to make MyBB more popular or to be used by all sorts of people, you should make it easy to use also for non-professional users (in coding) which are almost in majority or at least one of the majorities. If just saying "add A code to the template for B result or add C code to the template to result D" to the users is the solution so why upgrading and adding some features to the core? Just make a big instruction forum and push some tutorials to it!
Look at the other softwares, scripts...they are simplifying the usage of their products day by day to make them more popular and also more efficient. This is the way in which the virtual world have chosen to move.

I don't want to discomfit you. I just want to see you and your product more powerful, more efficient and more popular day by day, because I love MyBB.

Thanks in advance.
We improve MyBB all the time - otherwise 1.8 wouldn't exist. But every forum admin should be able to remove a file and a link from a template...

Edit: this is my personal opinion btw
King Louis: calendar.php is linked to by birthdays etc...