MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can this be done..on MyBB or anywhere?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I'm looking to utilize Forums as a major component of a site that I'm in the process of building.

What I'm looking for, and so far haven't found, is the ability to have various Forum Templates that when the user logs in, they will only have access to the one that the Administrator assigned them when they registered.

If they fall into multiple categories and are assigned to say 3 different forums, then all 3 forums appear when they log in..nothing more or nothing less..that is, unless the administrator grants them access to other forums.

This is to be a location based project and although I can have the typical forum landing page that lists every location in a city, why should users even be tempted to try and access Forums that they are not permissioned for. So, the 1 Forum Landing page for all users is not as desired in my project.

I would like to have the option of setting up my site as Forum Landing Page - Forums - Sub-Forums - Topics.

So, when the registered user logs in, up comes their specific permissioned Forum with the specific sub-forums/categories that correlates with their access.

As an example, I envision it's structure something like this:

A user loges in and is granted access to one of many Templates depending on their permissioning:

Top of Forum Page: Atlanta/Northside(Permission based access)
-Restaurants(Can't be edited by user)
-Individual Restaurants(can't be edited by user)
-Topics(User inputs here)

Anyway, I'm also interested in working with someone on this, as either some kind of partnership or reasonable compensation, who broad experience with Message Boards(MyBB and the other main ones) and understands what I'm looking to do.

Looking forward to hearing from the community.

J.
Okay, so if I'm interpreting your request correctly, this can be done with MyBB via its in-built permissions system (without the use of templates).

Whenever you're setting up a new category/forum/sub-forum/etc (or editing an old one), you can edit the permissions for that particular forum. So, let's say you're creating a new category called "Staff Only" and you only want staff to be able to see and post in it. After you add the name, the description, etc., there'll be a table with all of your groups listed and you can use that to move around what those groups can do. For instance, you can change it so that guests can't view anything or that users can view the forum, but not post. You can read more about this, here.
If you want to assign permissions on an individual basis instead of a usergroup basis you can use this plugin.
Thanks AiedailEclipsed & Dragonexpert, appreciate the quick replies.

Looking forward to digging into the MyBB platform next week and referencing your solutions.

Btw, not sure if either of you would know, but can I add MyBB to my Weebly site via the iFrame method.

I'm very comfortable with Weebly's site building methodology and hosting service and ideally I'd like to build my site with them; but when I inquired about their support for various Database languages, as per MyBB's documentation, I received the following reply...

"You can edit your site with HTML, CSS, and Javascript; however, Weebly does not support building your site with server side languages, such as PHP or ASP. We also do not currently offer database access, and these options are not likely to become available in the near future. Very sorry for that!"

I was demo'ing another Forum platform and was able to successfully embed their iFrame code into my Weebly site..was wondering if that was possible with MyBB..

Also, not really sure of the advantages/disadvantages of running a Forum based site via this embedded iFrame methodology.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jonathan