MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: unauthorized user registration attempts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just opened the board last week for a group. i have started to see people under users waiting to be activated that shouldnt have found the board. some from russia some from usa.
Have the bots found a way around the verification code?
What can be done to cut down on this, are there any plugins?
Thanks
There are several plugins against spam: http://community.mybb.com/thread-110224.html
(2014-06-10, 06:34 AM)BobKat Wrote: [ -> ]I just opened the board last week for a group. i have started to see people under users waiting to be activated that shouldnt have found the board. some from russia some from usa.
Have the bots found a way around the verification code?
What can be done to cut down on this, are there any plugins?
Thanks

Sort answer is yes, the bots for myBB are pretty good at getting past the basic security. Even with advanced security that my site has they still find a way around it.

You need to keep strengthening it as best you can. Use registration questions and keep varying them.

make the answers complex enough to fool a bot, go beyond just simple math equations
The best combination that i have found to be most effective is using

1. Registration Security Question (Plugin) and
2. reCAPTCHA (ACP >> Configuration >> General Configuration >> CAPTCHA Images for Registration & Posting >> set to reCAPTCHA)

That will stop the spambots almost by 100%. But the human spammers would bypass it and to handle them,

3. Extra Forum Permissions (Plugin) - disable posting links
4.Goodbye Spammer (Plugin) - clean the mess
My stuff for that is:

Geeks Custom questions plugin.
Recaptcha.

Havent had one bot Smile. Spambots can easily bypass mybbs filter.
Thanks, put the Geeks Custom question in and Recaptcha. That didn't stop the bots. I just made Captcha hidden which seemed to work, no more bots as of yet.
Thanks.