MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to install plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, I am wondering how to install plugins.

[Image: 2iiu5qd.jpg]
Ok so if I install them here then in which folder? THX!
Upload files plugin in ftp and click on Admin CP forum / Configuration / Plugins and activate plugin!
(2014-06-10, 08:06 PM)adi19 Wrote: [ -> ]Upload files plugin in ftp and click on Admin CP forum / Configuration / Plugins and activate plugin!

But there is no ftp folder. I put all my files in the www. folder which I was in and I screen cropped it. Those are ALL the extra folders in the www. folder no more.

(2014-06-10, 08:06 PM)adi19 Wrote: [ -> ]Upload files plugin in ftp and click on Admin CP forum / Configuration / Plugins and activate plugin!

[Image: 2h4l4cn.jpg]

Actually I did see a plugin folder in /www- /inc -/plugin.

Do I put the plugins in that folder?
yes, he means upload via the ftp and put the plugin in the inc/plugins folder. Be careful when installing more complicated mods, they often have a folder called Upload - you would need to put the contents of the folder in the forum root (where newreply.php is). The mods provided like this have all the subfoldering done for you.
I'll try to explain this the best that I can for you (with images! Big Grin)

1. Connect to your server (I assume that you know how to do this since you have already done this in the screenshots you posted).

2. Choose the domain that you have your board on (if you have more than one). We'll use one of my sites for this example.
[attachment=31780]

3. Once you are in the root folder of your site, go to the folder named "inc."
[attachment=31781]

4. Now you will see more folders. One will be named "plugins," open it.
[attachment=31782]

5. This is where you upload the plugin files to. Most plugins also have other files that need to be uploaded to the correct directories (folders) for them to work. Here are some common directories.
[attachment=31783]

Side notes:

A. Most plugins that require you to upload files to different directories have those organized in the .zip file you download.
[attachment=31784]
The ones in the red boxes are named the same as the directories that you need to upload them to.
The one in the blue box is the plugin file itself. Some plugin authors just leave them out like this. If this happens, just upload it to the /inc/plugins/ directory (like how I told you to up above).

B. You should always read the readme.txt file that comes with most plugins. It will explain how to install the plugin, if it needs anything special, and troubleshooting instructions for common errors with that plugin. Below is the inside of the readme.txt file from the same plugin that was in part A (I *censored* some parts to avoid violating copyrights).

Quote:License is attached inside extras folder by using this software you agree to the terms of that license.

Mod Name: My Awards
Mod Author: *censored*
Mod Website: *censored*
Mod Version: 2.2
Mod Mybb Compatibility: 1.6x
Mod File Edits: None
Mod File Uploads: 5
Mod Description: Give your users awards.

Installation

1. Upload Files
/root/myawards.php
/root/inc/plugins/my_awards.php
/root/inc/languages/english/myawards.lang.php
/root/inc/languages/english/admin/user_myawards.lang.php
/root/admin/modules/user/myawards.php

2. Create folder /root/uploads/awards/ (already included in download too)

3. Chmod /root/uploads/awards/ to 777.

4. Activate in admincp the plugin "My Awards".

5. You can now go into admincp under "Users & Groups" and you will see the nav menu on left for "My Awards".

6. (Optional) You may need to set permissions also for your other admins.

The rest should be self explanatory.

This plugin adds the award to the postbit (classic and horizontal). On the profile page you will see a row for the Awards and display the amount and a link to the details page. The awards page can also be directly linked to if you want to add a spot in your header. It's myawards.php of course.
The plugin also adds a link to the awards page in the footer and adds the latest X granted awards on the stats.php page. Setting for how many awards to display in stats is configurable in Settings under "My Awards".

I plan to add more to this plugin but right now this is a great base. Any suggestions or bugs found please post at *censored*.

==================
UPGRADE INSTRUCTIONS
==================
MyAwards 2.0
------------
These instructions are for if you are upgrading from My Awards 1.x to My Awards 2.x
-Overwrite old files with new My Awards 2.x files.
-Deactivate "My Awards" in plugin manager.
-Activate "My Awards" in plugin manager.

With that, there should be no loss of previous award data.

MyAwards 2.1
------------
If upgrading from 2.0, just overwrite old files with new files. No need to deactivate.
If upgrading from 1.x, use instructions for MyAwards 2.0 upgrade.

MyAwards 2.2
------------
Fixed uid limitation bug. Now UID for granted awards can have 8 characters (99,999,999 being highest possible UID).

MyAwards 2.3
------------
Now optional PM is sent when granting an award.

Demo: *censored*

I can be reached at either *censored* as username *censored* if you have questions.

Thank you.
*censored*
(2014-06-11, 12:45 AM)MI-6 Wrote: [ -> ]I'll try to explain this the best that I can for you (with images! Big Grin)

1. Connect to your server (I assume that you know how to do this since you have already done this in the screenshots you posted).

2. Choose the domain that you have your board on (if you have more than one). We'll use one of my sites for this example.

3. Once you are in the root folder of your site, go to the folder named "inc."

4. Now you will see more folders. One will be named "plugins," open it.

5. This is where you upload the plugin files to. Most plugins also have other files that need to be uploaded to the correct directories (folders) for them to work. Here are some common directories.

Side notes:

A. Most plugins that require you to upload files to different directories have those organized in the .zip file you download.

The ones in the red boxes are named the same as the directories that you need to upload them to.
The one in the blue box is the plugin file itself. Some plugin authors just leave them out like this. If this happens, just upload it to the /inc/plugins/ directory (like how I told you to up above).

B. You should always read the readme.txt file that comes with most plugins. It will explain how to install the plugin, if it needs anything special, and troubleshooting instructions for common errors with that plugin. Below is the inside of the readme.txt file from the same plugin that was in part A (I *censored* some parts to avoid violating copyrights).

Quote:License is attached inside extras folder by using this software you agree to the terms of that license.

Mod Name: My Awards
Mod Author: *censored*
Mod Website: *censored*
Mod Version: 2.2
Mod Mybb Compatibility: 1.6x
Mod File Edits: None
Mod File Uploads: 5
Mod Description: Give your users awards.

Installation

1. Upload Files
/root/myawards.php
/root/inc/plugins/my_awards.php
/root/inc/languages/english/myawards.lang.php
/root/inc/languages/english/admin/user_myawards.lang.php
/root/admin/modules/user/myawards.php

2. Create folder /root/uploads/awards/ (already included in download too)

3. Chmod /root/uploads/awards/ to 777.

4. Activate in admincp the plugin "My Awards".

5. You can now go into admincp under "Users & Groups" and you will see the nav menu on left for "My Awards".

6. (Optional) You may need to set permissions also for your other admins.

The rest should be self explanatory.

This plugin adds the award to the postbit (classic and horizontal). On the profile page you will see a row for the Awards and display the amount and a link to the details page. The awards page can also be directly linked to if you want to add a spot in your header. It's myawards.php of course.
The plugin also adds a link to the awards page in the footer and adds the latest X granted awards on the stats.php page. Setting for how many awards to display in stats is configurable in Settings under "My Awards".

I plan to add more to this plugin but right now this is a great base. Any suggestions or bugs found please post at *censored*.

==================
UPGRADE INSTRUCTIONS
==================
MyAwards 2.0
------------
These instructions are for if you are upgrading from My Awards 1.x to My Awards 2.x
-Overwrite old files with new My Awards 2.x files.
-Deactivate "My Awards" in plugin manager.
-Activate "My Awards" in plugin manager.

With that, there should be no loss of previous award data.

MyAwards 2.1
------------
If upgrading from 2.0, just overwrite old files with new files. No need to deactivate.
If upgrading from 1.x, use instructions for MyAwards 2.0 upgrade.

MyAwards 2.2
------------
Fixed uid limitation bug. Now UID for granted awards can have 8 characters (99,999,999 being highest possible UID).

MyAwards 2.3
------------
Now optional PM is sent when granting an award.

Demo: *censored*

I can be reached at either *censored* as username *censored* if you have questions.

Thank you.
*censored*

THANK YOU!
Your such a big help!
[Image: yjqg.jpg]
This is what happens when I click activate MyAlerts plugin(the barely visible mark).

And this is what happens when I click on the MyAlerts plugin.
[Image: 154gaqq.jpg]

I know I put ALL the files in the correct folders.
There is a .gitmodules file lying in the downloaded folder giving no explanation where to put it and same goes for README.md file.
Are you sure that that plugin is designed to be able to go to that page?

A lot of plugins do nothing if you go to www.yoursite.com/pluginname.php
(2014-06-11, 01:29 AM)MI-6 Wrote: [ -> ]Are you sure that that plugin is designed to be able to go to that page?

A lot of plugins do nothing if you go to www.yoursite.com/pluginname.php

Maybe your right about that. But when I click activate I get the barely visible explanation mark. I activated a plugin that was here by default and not it replaces the activate option with the deactivate option. Maybe I have to wait a certain amount of time?
For My Alerts you need plugin library. So install that and then when all the files are uploaded click install and activate. The link you followed is a link to Euantors site; it isn't connected to plugin functions.
(2014-06-11, 01:34 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]For My Alerts you need plugin library. So install that and then when all the files are uploaded click install and activate. The link you followed is a link to Euantors site; it isn't connected to plugin functions.

Whats plugin library and where do I get it?
Pages: 1 2