MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: myBB Demo Site
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I agree, I hope MyBB will have a fully functional official demo presenting the latest version starting at 1.8. I think it should be one of our priorities actually. I started working on something similar when b1 came out, but PHP isn't my strongest side so I can't promise anything.
Here is a roundup of the reasons why we're not already running (and possibly why we're not going to run) a demo is:
  • Forum demo hosts already had up-to-date copies of MyBB therefore linking to one of them requires next to no resources/effort on our part (this still applies due to this).
  • If there is a vulnerability in the Admin CP, or even the frontend for that matter, we must be sure that the demo is sufficiently separated from the rest of our server so as not to compromise any other sections of the site's security.
  • Setting up the demo effectively takes up time which could otherwise be spent on other (more important) things.
(2014-06-23, 09:47 PM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-22, 07:52 PM)Shemo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-19, 01:57 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]We are not running this demo, there is nothing we can do. Unfortunatly www.forum-software.org seams to be dead anyway.

mybb should host a demo of its own forum software, like a lot of the other forum softwares out there do.

for it to not have 1 set up is a tragedy.

This. The notion that this community acts as a demo is a little crazy. The major beauty of MyBB is within its ACP and theming. Neither of those are available to the general public in this community. If the other demos are not being kept up-to-date, then it's inaccurately representing MyBB. A full demo, reset on the hour or something, maintained by MyBB and always updated, would look more professional to people looking to pick.

exactly the reasons why mybb should host its own demo!

(2014-06-25, 12:45 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-24, 03:36 AM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]The issue with ourselves hosting the demo is we are currently tiny got push ourselves to release 1.8 in the next few months, with a few surprises after that - we don't have time to setup a forum that will automatically reset, be secure, etc.

I'll bring it up again, but someone would have to be taken out of their current role to get a setup going. At this point we're disappointed in ourselves for not delivering as soon as we'd like and we wouldn't want to make the community wait longer than needed.

Right, I don't think any of us were implying that this is a higher priority than 1.8, but it is something that should be on the radar as far as a marketing standpoint in the future.

indeed.

I'd rather see 1.8 released than a demo site right now.

(2014-06-25, 03:12 PM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]Here is a roundup of the reasons why we're not already running (and possibly why we're not going to run) a demo is:
  • Forum demo hosts already had up-to-date copies of MyBB therefore linking to one of them requires next to no resources/effort on our part (this still applies due to this).
  • If there is a vulnerability in the Admin CP, or even the frontend for that matter, we must be sure that the demo is sufficiently separated from the rest of our server so as not to compromise any other sections of the site's security.
  • Setting up the demo effectively takes up time which could otherwise be spent on other (more important) things.

sure, it takes resources and time to keep updated and secure from the live site/forum, but are you willing to push your PR off to a 3rd party that may or may not represent the forum software in a correct manner?

to me, that seems silly...
Pages: 1 2