MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Add a new User Group for Search Engine's Spiders Bots
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2014-06-24, 02:21 PM)Rymax99 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-24, 10:34 AM)mybbworld Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks all, i have made new user group "Robots" & assigned it to all search bots. now whatever i do with guest user group it wont effect search engine spiders.

It will as long as the search engines match the user agents of those in the spiders/bots section.

You can test that with Google's 'fetch as Google' tool in Google webmaster tools: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/...etch?pli=1

Thanks, but I can see Google reading all threads under a new user group I have mentioned above.
(2014-06-24, 02:37 PM)mybbworld Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-24, 10:34 AM)mybbworld Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks all, i have made new user group "Robots" & assigned it to all search bots. now whatever i do with guest user group it wont effect search engine spiders.

It will as long as the search engines match the user agents of those in the spiders/bots section.

You can test that with Google's 'fetch as Google' tool in Google webmaster tools: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/...etch?pli=1

Thanks, but I can see Google reading all threads under a new user group I have mentioned above.

I don't understand, you will always see Google as the "Google" title in your forums online list, as goes with all other spiders/bots. Are you saying that it's not using the usergroups permissions in which you assigned it to? If so, please give us a screenshot of your spiders/bot page in the ACP and tell us which permissions you are trying to take away from the bots.
(2014-06-24, 02:38 PM)Rymax99 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-24, 02:37 PM)mybbworld Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't understand, you will always see Google as the "Google" title in your forums online list, as goes with all other spiders/bots. Are you saying that it's not using the usergroups permissions in which you assigned it to? If so, please give us a screenshot of your spiders/bot page in the ACP and tell us which permissions you are trying to take away from the bots.

Thanks. everything works fine as i required. Google is indexing my site perfectly by a user group I mentioned above. I actually don't care about other spiders, I only care Alexa & Google, both bots are visiting my site regularly & I have no issues with both of them.
(2014-06-24, 01:21 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]You know you can always use a robots.txt file to block unwanted pages or actions.

That's only if the Bot actually follows the robots.txt directives. I actually assigned a few Bots to the banned group because they misbehave.
Pages: 1 2