MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How can I drive traffic to my forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I recently started a new forum where users can share links to movies, tv shows, music, eBooks, and etc and then discuss them. The forum itself does not host any copyrighted material nor do we (my parther and I) endorse (but we do allow) linking to sites that illegally host the material (the use of pirate streaming websites is not illegal in the USA, an antipiracy group actually admitted this). So my question is how should I drive traffic to this type of forum. I am not going to post a link to the forum here because that would be spam but I would like to know a few things.

The first thing that I would like to know is how do I drive traffic to my new website. I currently added it to the Google index so that's a start. I know a major thing is I need to add lots and lots of content for Google to index. How should I advertise the site for free? How should I get it to the top of the search engines?

The next thing I need to know is what is a good webhost to host my website? I am considering NearlyFreeSpeech.NET because they don't allow sites to be immediatally shutdown. For the time being it's on a DiminsionData Cloud Server until I can find it a home.

The last thing is where can I find people willing to become staff members for the forum? Are there any chat rooms for sites like this?

Thank you for all of your help, JustSayin
One tip is use social networking. Post it to your facebook if you have a lot of friends there. If you browse other forums, assuming their rules allow it, link to it in your signature. You also might want to look into installing the Google SEO Plugin if you haven't yet.
I don't have a Facebook account nor do my friends. Should I make one and go from there?

Ok I made a facebook, now what do I do with it? Search for similar interest groups?
People love SEO and other tactics like that, even ones that border on unethical. But, honestly... I feel the king will not always be search or other things like that. The key is word of mouth. Word of mouth for a great forum, especially one in a niche can create an invaluable community, which in turn creates the best kind of SEO you could get. Actual humans talking about their hobbies, their passions, their things that uses every word combination an SEO bot couldn't dream up to get listed.

Invite your friends. Let them invite their friends. Focus on a referral system helps greatly as well. Referral benefits and points are nice. People love points even if they do very little or even for a name change color or an icon in their profile.