MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Search Spiders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering if theres anyway to change the name of the search spiders such as "GoogleBot", "MSN Search", etc Smile. Thanks in advance Big Grin.
Go into inc/class_session.php and find the array:
var $bots = array(
		'google' => 'GoogleBot',
		'lycos' => 'Lycos.com',
		'ask jeeves' => 'Ask Jeeves',
		'slurp@inktomi' => 'Hot Bot',
		'whatuseek' => 'What You Seek',
		'is_archiver' => 'Archive.org',
		'scooter' => 'Altavista',
		'fast-webcrawler' => 'AlltheWeb',
		'grub.org' => 'Grub Client',
		'turnitinbot' => 'Turnitin.com',
		'msnbot' => 'MSN Search',
		'yahoo' => 'Yahoo! Slurp'
	);
Simply change the name that appears AFTER the =>

i.e 'google' => 'Google is cool!', and 'yahoo' => 'Yahoo! suck!'
It would also be nice if the search bots were in their own group. This way if you have a site that is viewable for registered members only you can still assign the bots to crawl and view.

Having the bots in a group may open up other options as well that would be nice.
You can change this yourself. Make a new group and assign them to the gid inside class_session.php.
I did install the Add Spiders plugin
it is supposed to add over 80 Spiders/Bots to my forum
but i only saw 10 and i added this plugin like 5 months ago.

Can anyone help me out with the non visiting ones ? :o)

thank you
bumping old thread i know but i still need help adding more of them to my sites.
(2009-04-29, 10:17 PM)Chainzs Wrote: [ -> ]Can anyone help me out with the non visiting ones ? :o)
Some of spiders/bots just visiting your site if you or someone request it for example W3C_Validator bot.
I've added the Add Spiders plugin and see all kinds of new to me spiders crawling. Also, putting spiders in their own group might be nice, but some systems, like Google, degrade your rankings if you allow access to spiders that is different than guests.